Herculiner | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Herculiner

Hey all, no this is not an exciting body part thread just a regular Herc on the X thread!

I am in the middle of twotoning my X the top is white well cream,off-white what ever you call it, and the bottom will be Herc black! so far I have done all the prep twice (I want this stuff to stay) and laid down the first coat. It has been drying for about an hour and a half, but is still sticky. Like mentioned by Mattadams and Rpenner once you get going it is hard to stop. What else needs herc'ed???? Well I hope to post a pic or two fairly soon! Wish me luck!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Let me know how it goes. I think I will Herculine the bottom halfs of my doors in the future to cover up the 1,000,000 dings from flying rocks. I want to take the doors off and do the insides of them up to that line also. I'm worried if the doors will still open and shut without hitting the backs of the front fenders with the extra thickness of the Herculiner, so let me know.

Thanks.

ah yes, I can relate... probably within the next few weeks (before it starts getting butt-ass cold again (and thats pretty cold!)) I'm going to try to finish herculining a few things on mine I've got about a half-gallon left (assuming its still in working order after sitting in the garage for a month or more) so that'll do the bumpers, possibly the flares... and if I've got time, it'll do the roof rack as well. Problem with the roof rack is it will take forever, theres os many dang little crannies to get into.

My first coat took about 3-4 hours to dry 100% enough to apply the second coat. It was still tacky though. Then when I was over at Matts and did the last coat I don't know when it dried because I just sorta didn't care. LOL

yob_yeknom- I did the bottom area around the door where you step in the the truck with and I would say if you do that and the doors do that area first leave the doors open let it dry then do it again. I did everything at once and that became quite a challenge just to get everything on there and from shutting when I didn't want it to.

Matt- Hang that roof rack from the ceiling of your garage and do it that way. That way you don't have to wait for it to dry to turn it over to do another side.

monkey, i am sure they will open fine b/c Xs have those plastic strips and they protrude like half an inch out from the door...

Marshall - I'd just like to say, I think two-toning your X is a wonderful idea :p

hey Jared, you were complaining about your paint job, get 2 gallons of herculiner (about $200) and a few extra rollers and go to town, much cheaper and more durable then paint, and it would look better then a crappy paint job... plus you couldn't get keyed then! :)

Then I'd have to change my board name....and people wouldn't call me Two Tone, which is a whole other world of difficulty :D

Not a bad idea however...I could call her the big grey beast :p

Originally posted by TwoToneFordExpl
Then I'd have to change my board name....and people wouldn't call me Two Tone, which is a whole other world of difficulty :D

Not a bad idea however...I could call her the big grey beast :p

After you herculine, go out and buy your favorite two colors in rattle can. Tape off the herculiner and two-tone it again! If you don't like the colors after a while, re-paint! :)

Ok well I am done (for now). I finished last nigt around dark and let it dry over night. I did the whole lower part of the X from the trim down, including the little pieces of Chrome behind the rear tires and as Ryan said the inside of the door where you step in and yes letting it dry with doors open is best idea!!! I also did the mirrors which came out GREAT!!!! and the wiper arms, mine had turned a nice off gray so now they look all shiny black! I was going to do the bumpers but I want to replace them soon and I thought I could probably get more for them Chrome then black! If I get the duff bumpers I will get them bare and Herc them too! I love this stuff!!!!

Twotone that comment was for you and the twotone idea looks great!!!! And I believe that painting the Herc is not that hard is gives you instructions on how to paint it. That way you could keep the twotone name!

Also monkey the Herc only goes on about 1/16 to 1/8 (which would take at least three coats) thick so you really are not adding that much.

I hope to have some pics soon, it did wonders for that old off-white, now I have to pull off the red pinstripe and it will look like a whole new X

Back