Herculining plastic...yes Ive searched | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Herculining plastic...yes Ive searched

toad

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Blue Point, Ontario, CANADA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Sport Trac
Just a couple quick questions, I want to Herc. the grey plastic rockers, bumpers etc. on my trac as I dont think trim paint will hold up the way I use it. My questions are-

-will it stay black or will it fade?
-can you wash mud etc off it or does it look dirty even after being washed?

Anything else you can suggest, I know to keep it away from my "hootus" :p , and about claen up, but if it put it on I just dont want it to look like crap after some use.

Thanks, Todd

4759trac2-med.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes it will stay black, over time you may have to reapply to some areas.
Yes dirt washes off, even Texas red dirt washes off.

Herc will fade in a very short time. You have to put a UV topcoat on it if you want it to stay black. To clean it up nice you have to use a soft brush.

I have had my herc on for a few months now. No fading so far. I park in a garage though.

We Herc'd my dads truck bed a little over a month ago, and the bed floor is totally gray, and the bedsides are about half as faded. It is parked outside. The UV topcoat will supposedly bring it back to full gloss.

Well, IMO hercing a bed and some rockers are 2 totally different things. The bed is flat, and will take the FULL effect of all weather conditions. Rockers are out of the way of wear a lot more. Like I said, I have had no problems, but a UV coat isnt a bad idea.

They will eventually fade. It may take a year instead of 4 weeks, but it will happen.

The rockers and bottom of my doors have been herculined for over a year and they're still very black. Scuff up the plastic with a scotch bright pad and clean it with xylene and youll be good to go.

Hmm, that's a bit unsettling. I was thinking of hercing my bumpers, and was hoping it would fade to match the rest of the gray on the truck.

Has anyone tried the gray herc? Got pics if you have?

They have red now too!

I wouldn't waste your money. Your going to hate it after it fades... :) Mine faded. You can't wash the stuff with a sponge, it just tears it up. It will stick to plastic though, I put it on both my mirrors and its stayed for as long as its been there....

I have just removed as much as possible on one side of the truck. I will re-paint later with real paint again.

Thanks guys, I,ll have to put some more thought into this, maybe Ill try the paint and see how it holds up.

Back