Herculining suspension parts | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Herculining suspension parts

My truck is in great shape, I keep it super clean on the outside and in the engine bay, but I can't stand the rust underneath anymore. It's mostly the frame and the suspension parts and bugs me. My question is, would it be OK to put Herculiner on the suspension parts (i.e. control arms, leaf springs, etc)? I want that clean black look, but more importantly, I want it to LAST.

Any opinions welcome.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

not sure about the leafs, as they move a lot.... but i am sure it is fine on other parts that dont see constant movement..... have you heard of POR-15? its good undercoating stuff

i dunno if youll like the way herculiner looks, its textured. youre probably better off going with por-15 from what i hear its awsome stuff.

I would love to use POR 15 but would just take too much of it, and since it is so expensive, that option is out of the question.

I know Herc has a texture to it, like a bed liner, but I don't mind that.

Herculiner looks like crap after about 1 year. IMHO. Unless you paint over it.

If you use Herculiner PREP is the key word. I mean PREP! This stuff sticks GOOD but if there is something under it, it doesn't like it will peel off. I can honestly say I don't think I would use it again if I were given the choice. I think I wouldv'e used a flat black or something else....

i just herculined the interior and rockers on my truck and so far it's alright but i prepped it good. i did'nt use the pos scotch bright pad that came with it though. i went out and got a better one with a handle and then cleaned everything with xylene. hopefully itll stick *knock on wood*

Oh it will stick. It just will turn a nice dull grey in a few months. Or at least thats what mine has done.

There are a few spots on mine where I have surface rust coming through from the other side and that makes it not stick... :(

Ok, so what do you guys suggest that I use? I want something that will LAST. POR15 would be a good choice if I didn't have to pay a small fortune for a gallon of the stuff. Are there any other solutions?

Honestly, I would go with a good quality spray paint. Something that is a semi-gloss would look good.

I just think for your truck it would "ruin" the look of it over time to do the herculiner thing.

There is this other stuff called Dura Black or Back or something like that, that can be used as a bedliner. Its' really thin and if you apply it right it looks pretty good. However you have to prep really really good. I used that on my old Jeep and liked it. However I don't rememberr what it looked like after a year or so and we have long since sold that Jeep.

I dunno if something was lost in the translation or what but i should go back through and count how many times i saw the world "like"

I've just been using rustolium(sp?) twice a year. covers it up pretty well if you keep after it and keep it clean.

Lets say you have some rust under your truck. That means there is moisture in the metal. Would painting it trap the moisture in causing it to rust more? I painted under my truck with a semi-gloss 2 weeks ago and it came out good, but I'm nervous that it's not gonna help the rust.

I used some Rustoleum hammered finish last year and it lasted a few months but is now gone. I want it BLACK and somewhat smooth. I plan on getting most of the surface rust off with a wire brush and wire brush attachments for my grinder and drill.

I may just have to suck it up and get a gallon of POR 15 for $95. Although I don't think I could get the whole underside done with a gallon. :eek:

What did you end up using?

I have read through this thread, and like a good book waited for the climatic ending... But the last chapter is missing....Can you fill in the details?

I ended up removing the rust with a wire brush on my grinder. I followed that up by priming and painting with laquer paint. It seemed to work well.

my dad just took his expedition to the dealer he got it from, and they used some sort of undercoating that 'eliminates the rust and makes it stronger.' something like that. anyways, it sounds like it may have been that por-15 stuff. it did have a textured look to it, but im sure its not as noticable as the herc would be. im not sure how long it lasts either, i touched it and it left a small dent. so it might come off after a while on the road.

MY neighbor is using some kind of spray on undercoating that seems to work well, it has something in it which inhibits rusting-he's supposed to order me a case of it so i'll let you guys know exactly what it is when i get it.

I highly suggest POR15, it goes a long way. Start with a quart of it, around here it goes for $33/qt. See how far it gets you, I was able to do the whole frame, leaf springs, and front/rear axle and still had a lot left over. You don't want a heavy coating, just one coat.
Once opened, por-15 starts to harden and will be useless after a few weeks even if the can is sealed again. If you put the lid down on it, by the next day you'll never get the lid back off.
What I've done is put two layers of saran wrap over the can, tapped the lid back on and used the clips to hold it on. Then put it in a ziplock bag just in case it does leak or the lid comes off, and then put it in the refridgerator. it keeps for a month or two this way. When I use it I just cut through the saran wrap. The top of the liquid is frequently hard, but I've gotten quite a bit out by using a screw driver to gouge the can itself. Watch out, if it gets on your skin IT WON'T COME OFF. Seriously, it will take 3-5 days of time to wear off.
--Bob

To Bored_2wd
I only buy the por-15 mix pack. You get 6 4oz cans for about $36. Obviously it is more expensive than buying a qt, but you only open small amounts and have a lot less waste.

To springtensi0n
Por-15 hardens to a really glossy surface. It is NOT textured at all...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good point. When I last bought it, the 6pack thing was coming in non-metal containers and they weren't recommending it due to leakage problems. Now the 6pack thing comes in the small metal containers again-awesome!
I need to buy some this week, I need to do my new rear springs (which have rusted in under a year) and a few parts I missed initially. Also have quite a bit to do on my wife's escape!
--Bob

Back