Here comes another turbo Mounty! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Here comes another turbo Mounty!

Hey Guys. I am building an extreme budget turbo Mountaineer. It is an early 97 5.0. Before I get into details I know the parts I am using are cheap, but I have done a lot of reading over on theturboforums.com and have gotten some of the best cheap parts if that makes any sense lol. So I have a few questions. I need to know what size wastegate to run. I am going to be running the gt45 chinese turbo and only want to make around 10 psi. I was thinking a 50mm wastegate should work good, but im not sure. Also The turbo is going to be mounted pretty far back under the truck so I am assuming that I will have to run a blow thru maf. What maf should I be looking for? ALso (this is just an off the wall question so please just bear with me) Is there anyway I could run a draw thru setup if I extend the maf harness or is it too far away from the engine to work properly? To put this build into perspective I bought the truck for $800 and put probobly about $400 into reapirs to get it in good shape. I have spent $370 for the turbo and all flanges and a 14 foot section of nitrous line to use as an oil feed line. This is truly a budget build and I am not expecting it to last. I apreciate any input. I will be documenting the build in this thread with pictures along the way. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

To begin with let me give some friendly advise, don't skimp on your fuel system or MAF. I would recommend running at least a 42# injector, specific blow thru maf and a 255lph in tank pump. The 50mm wastegate should work fine, actually will be overkill, a 38mm would be more of what you are looking for. Don't skimp on the wastegate either (no chinese crap)-this is what controls the boost and it is imperative to get a good 'gate. Either way you will have to relocate the maf to the straightest section of tubing you can. When you get ready I can supply you with the maf, injectors, tuning and pump. I have some excellent options for you.

Please note I have already been down this road. I was one of the 1st (if not the 1st) to do a remote set up on a v6 Explorer. To date (that I am aware of) my times have stood as the fastest. For v6 or v8. If you have any questions feel free to contact me via email or phone.

Hey thanks for the advice. Although this is my first turbo setup I have been in the supercharged mustang scene for a while. I do fully understand the importance of a good fuel system and tune. And thank you I will be in touch with you for all of the above. The reason I was thinking 50mm wastegate is because It is a pretty big turbo for the low boost levels I am looking for so the 50mm should give me a little more control over it. If i could get away with a 38mm that would be great cause they cost a lot less and a re more common to find one used. I dont want to skimp on the wastegate because I know that if it goes bad th turbo will dump every pound of boost it can possibly make into my engine before I can even think about shurtting it down and that = not good things lol. But waste gates are just too much money. I have been looking for a used tial. There are a lot of 38mm out there so if I can get away with one that small I will. Thanks

I have used Tial wastegates in quite a few of the turbo builds I have done in the past. They make a great gate. Another option to look at is the Precision 39mm wastegate. It is less expensive than a Tial and really good quality. They also come with a butt-ton of boost springs for a nearly unlimited amount of boost level settings from 2 psi through 20+ and also two stainless flanges as well. Talk to Viren at VS Racing, whom is vendor at theturboforums. He can set you up with one of those gates at a good price.

Hey ya vsracing is great. Thats were I got my turbo from. It should be here monday then I can start the project. I had e-mailed him about some info on the wastegates he sells and he gave me some good info. Also it is good to know he stands by the products he sells and gave me accurate info. I have gained most of my knowledge from reading through all the threads at turboforums It is a great site. Hopefully I will have some pictures and updates soon.

Got some of my parts today. Still waiting on the rest to arrive, but figured I would post some pics. That is a size 10 boot next to the turbo.

CIMG0120.jpg

CIMG0122.jpg

CIMG0121.jpg

CIMG0123.jpg

Nice, looks good :D I am in process of having my exhaust re-done and swapping out all of my charge piping on my set-up.

Thanks. My wastegate and wideband just got here yesterday. I just need to make my exhaust and setup the cold side piping. What are you doing with your old stuff?

Thanks. My wastegate and wideband just got here yesterday. I just need to make my exhaust and setup the cold side piping. What are you doing with your old stuff?

Junking it... the piping and old couplers are crap... I picked up a nice universal piping kit from mandrel bends on ebay... Check them out... Very good prices and the products are high quality! Got my stuff in a few days ago, looks great!

are you making your own turbo manifold?

Back