Here we go again | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Here we go again

Well, its time once again to start another crawler project. I seem to have a bad habbit of stating one, getting sooo close to finishing, then selling it due to me needing the monies.

This time, I have the cash to get'er done :)

Here is the plan.

1992 exploder sport.
351 v8 powered by propane.
c6 automatic transmission with manual, reverse valve body.
Dana 70HD Rear axle
Dana 60 front with hydro steering. Sorry, but our steering boxes and pumps are crap. Even the AGR upgraded equipment has a hard time pushing 38" plus tires.
Im going to get the 4link mount kit from PolyPerformance and link the front and rear suspension. Lift with be provided by Air Shocks.
All this will be riding on 42" swampers.
Im going to lengthen the wheelbase to around 107 inches.

So far I have the engine and trans, the truck, and the rear axle.
Im working on a dana 60 deal as we speak.

Once I get the D60 and have lockers/gears stuffed into them, this project with start in a big way.
Beware the flood of pictures that will be appearing the next few months, along with indepth writeups and tech on the parts.

:D

Due to a hard drive crash, I have lost my old rig pictures.
Former crawlers:
Big Red: 1985 bronco II, fullwidth D44 and D60, 38" tires boss 302 and c4 auto trans *back when my handle was Pegalis*
Project 626: 1988 Ford ranger cab, fullsize bronco chassies, unimog 406 axles and a 460 big block. Never realy finished. Sold for cash :(
BigA$$ Blazer: 1995 fullsize blazer sport, 454 v8, SAS with dana 60 37" yokohama tires. I built this truck to be a agressive daily driver. When gas hit $3 a gallon, she had to go. Sold and got a Mazda 3

Thus the title of the thread. Here we go again!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any pics of the previous builds to tide us over until this one starts in full swing?

My old BII, My big blazer and, uh.... This thing. not mine, but it had to be posted for the shock value :)

Alas, I have no pictures of the ranger. They were lost in the hard drive crash of 06. Even then, there were few. I tend to work too quickly. If I have to stop and take pictures, it kills my momentum so to speak.. Thats why I got a girlfriend. Just to take pictures of my wheelin' projects. And,other stuff....
Hey, Get your minds out of the gutter. :rolleyes:

The picture of the blazer was pre-8 lug axles. Thoes were slung under when the big block went in. Gawd that beast moved like a scalded cat!

Anywho, hope that tides you over for now :)

Attachments

• 192004221850.jpg
    192004221850.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 234

blazer

Attachments

• Blazersmall.jpg
    Blazersmall.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 231

Wow. Mr. Delorean was spinning in is grave the day this thing came to life :)

Attachments

• drexparade1.jpg
    drexparade1.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 233

Change of plans!
I found a Dana 60 and was talking to the local shops on prices for the install of an ARB locker and 5.13 gears in it and the HD Dana 70. Seems the shops in town dont realy want to insall anything unless you buy it from them. If you bring in parts and say, "Sling it in for me!" They nearly double the shop labor. *****....
When all is said and done, each axle will have cost me a tick over 4.4K in parts and labor.
Hell, my old mog axles cost WAY less than that. SO! Plan B is now going into action. Time to buy another set of Unimog 406 axles. *only a little over 3K each with the 8 lug disk conversion and pinion conversion*
This changes up things alot on the build. Now Im looking at dry sump oiling kits for the 351 so I can get rid of that blasted engine crossmember to make room for the super long pinion.
My suspension figures are now all shot to hell, So a complete redesign will have to be done.
On the ranger project, I tacked welded up a three link that seemed to do well with the portal axles. Hmmmm.
:rolleyes:
Here we go again.

D'cheat

That delorean looks identical to the one built here in Illinois by God Mudders. I think they moved to indiana for some sort of legal reasons. but that delorean now resides at the Volo car museum in Illinois. good luck on your explorer.

Back