Here's the BEEF - HD yoke for 8.8"! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Here's the BEEF - HD yoke for 8.8"!

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL '20 ST
Callsign
AB7FH
I've busted 3 of the crappy cast metal companion flanges on my rear driveshaft in the last 2 years. Mark Williams makes a super heavy duty yoke and cap set which uses big 1350 U-Joints. I'm ordering one in the morning!

www.markwilliams.com/pdfcat/pg32.pdf

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice....But then we won't get to see any more OH ****!!!! videos:D

Cool! on to the next weakest link, eh Rick? :)

Ever thought about doing a full floater on your 8.8???

Originally posted by 410Fortune

Doesn't exist anymore. Warn stopped making the kits at least 1-2 years ago. Wasn't enough market for them.

That's what Dana 60's are for :p

Cory, I asked Mark Williams about their C-clip eliminator kit for the 8.8" as with other manufacturers they don't reccomend it for off-road use.

They did mention that ne ends could be welded on the housing for a Ford big bearing which would also serve t oeliminate the C-clip. Not sure exactly what type of setup that is. Could you explain....

Originally posted by Rick
They did mention that ne ends could be welded on the housing for a Ford big bearing which would also serve t oeliminate the C-clip. Not sure exactly what type of setup that is. Could you explain....

Cut off the Ford 8.8" ends and weld on flanges for a big bearing 9" end. Instant C-clip eliminator.

BTW, I have a friend who makes full floater kits. Cut your ends, weld on his CNC'd ends, bolt on Dana 44 spindles, brakes, etc and have some custom shafts made. He's done 2 9" axles, but the 8.8" would be the same.

Cheers
Dale

eliminator

Dead Link Removed

Seems like alot of work. But work looks good.

Good find, somehow I missed that article. Looks like an excellent way to make an 8.8" even beefier.

I've busted 3 of the crappy cast metal companion flanges on my rear driveshaft in the last 2 years.

Maybe your axle wrap is busting the flanges? Pinion dives under hard throttle or hopping and breaks the Ujoint and flange?

Just a thought, and I'm kinda cross posting from you rear spring post on Pirate.

Cheers
Dale

Yep, that has been part of it, but the cast flange is still a REAL weak point which is easily replaced. The difference between 1350 and 1310 joints is quite significant and using steel yokes on both ends will make for a strong setup. The last busted flange was the last straw.

Can I use your CC# to order that $5000 axle you want me to have?:D

Dana 60 would be a great upgrade, but I would need new gears and a new ARB. Might as well just beef up what I have.

Can I use your CC# to order that $5000 axle you want me to have?:D

Sure.. After I get done with all my wheelin rig issues... So that'll be a long time! :p

Originally posted by tiessen
BTW, I have a friend who makes full floater kits. Cut your ends, weld on his CNC'd ends, bolt on Dana 44 spindles, brakes, etc and have some custom shafts made. He's done 2 9" axles, but the 8.8" would be the same.

Any more info? Contact info? site? price?
Thanks,

so the you would still have 1310 ujoints but with 1350 caps at the axle I dont understand?

Kinna off topic but couldnt you use big bearing 9" ends on the 8.8. $90

Then use warn FF kit for the 9" with solid drive flanges and custom FF 8.8 axle shafts? Need to figure out how to adapt the disk brakes..... no?

The 1350 yoke and MW bearing caps would finish it off.

$$$$

or just get a 60 and get the tone ring and disc brakes on it :D

Originally posted by soupbone
Kinna off topic but couldnt you use big bearing 9" ends on the 8.8. $90

Then use warn FF kit for the 9" with solid drive flanges and custom FF 8.8 axle shafts? Need to figure out how to adapt the disk brakes..... no?

The 1350 yoke and MW bearing caps would finish it off.

$$$$

or just get a 60 and get the tone ring and disc brakes on it :D

I just like my disc brake floaters... if the axle breaks the disc brake setup will keep the wheel on the truck :D

I can understand the use of the yoke to replace the driveshaft flange, but why the main bearing caps. I haven't heard anyone having problems with those and with the support diff covers is it really needed?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I understand its just for high HP or V8 guys. Not needed at all. It was just in the same pdf as the yoke. ;)

Back