• Register Today It's free!

Hesitating

allenhudson91

Reaction score
City, State
Birmingham, Al
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 4.0 XLT
My explorer is hesitating when i press the gas. If i barely hit the gas it runs fine, and if i press the gas nearly all the way it runs fine. I have changed my spark plugs, and the wires are fine. What could be wrong? Could it be my fuel pump?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have any check engine light codes? If so fix those first. Replace the fuel filter. Check/replace air filter. Clean MAF with MAF cleaner spray. Anyone else have ideas?

The check engine light goes on and off randomly, but it has done that since before this problem.

The check engine light goes on and off randomly, but it has done that since before this problem.
Do a KoEo test using your "check engine light", read the codes and go from there. If you have a problem with this, reply and I'll tell you how it's done.
The heitation sounds like a TPS with a flat spot in it. It's sort of like a volume control to let the computer know what position your gas pedal is in. Don't throw away money on something a diagnostic test can answer...Ray S. in PA

I am about to go buy a scanner this week. About a month ago my modulator valve on my transmission went out, and after that I have been having this problem.

OBD Scanner

I am about to go buy a scanner this week. About a month ago my modulator valve on my transmission went out, and after that I have been having this problem.
If it's an "el-cheapo" scanner that only has blinking lights don't bother. Your "check engine" light or an ANALOG voltmeter does the same thing when you prepare the vehicle for code extractions.
If the scanner you're buying is a numeric reader that's fine. I never used one, but I've read on some threads that their OBD scanners don't work on EEC-IV systems, so you might check with the seller to see if you can return the scanner if it doesn't work for you....Ray S. in PA

rayford is correct. if you buy a cheap number scanner it will most likely be and obd scanner, and will not work on eec-IV. and you don't even want to know what a good scanner will cost you ($3-4000 and up). just use your check engine light and count the blinks.....

rayford is correct. if you buy a cheap number scanner it will most likely be and obd scanner, and will not work on eec-IV. and you don't even want to know what a good scanner will cost you ($3-4000 and up). just use your check engine light and count the blinks.....

It only comes on like every 10 minutes, and it doesnt blink when it comes on.

when I said use the blink codes i was talking about using your test light and a jumper wire to make the computer tell you what you want to know.

check this out

http://www.troublecodes.net/Ford/

It's way easy, don't be afraid......

You just diagnosed your own problem. CEL light needs to rememdied first before doing anything else. G'luck!

Back