• Register Today It's free!

Hesitation, running ruff...

Stevo92z28

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Eddie Bauer
1993 Exploder, auto trans. I have had this truck for around 30k miles now and its been great. 196k miles on it now.

Lots of times when i start it up after sitting for awhile it runs a little ruff. Hit the gas and it cuts out a lot. After 10 seconds or if i just let it idle for 10 seconds its fine no problems runs good. Well it has started to do it under load going up hills at low rpms. I'm just checking over the normal stuff everything looks good. Oil pressure and other gauges are good all fluids good. Well leaving work today started it up slight hesitation and it went away once i get out to a main road it just started hesitating and hasn't gone away. Real lack of power. Got home and now listening to it it doesnt sound right. Going up hills i hear something hitting metal clanking but only once every few seconds like i cant guess when it will do it next. Almost suspension sounding clunk. Im wondering if the engine is vibrating against something. It vibrates a lot and sounds has a pretty lopey idle. I can try to get an exhaust clip of it.

New fluids/plugs/wire/belt/filters all were changed about 20k miles ago. No Check Engine light.

Where to start diagnosing this?

Has 20-21 inches of vacuum at idle.
Fuel pressure is at 29psi at idle and goes up to 37 under throttle.

I'd start with the plugs. Possibly oil fouled.

You sir are correct. It was running on 5 cylinders. The valve cover gasket leaked down onto one. I changed all the plugs because its cheap and easy enough but the 1 was completely soaked an oil. Thanks!

Perfect, I'm glad I could help. Depending on how bad the valve covers leak, you may get by with regular cleaning but ultimately I would change them. The oil will also ground the plugs and get worse mpg.

Back