hesitation whenin gear | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

hesitation whenin gear

Reaction score
City, State
wauregan ct
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 ford explorer xlt
ill cut to the point it wouldnt start and had no code i put a new maf a new crank sensor and plugs and wires still no start then i put a pcm from another 93 explorer in it now it sarts.
starts fine but when in gear it hesitates bad to the point i wont leave the driveway i also have a popping noise coming frome the exhaust any ideas on how to fix would be very appreciative am currently taken the exhaust off to see if the cats a plugged

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

MrShorty

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Spanish Fork, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT and '87 Bronco II
Maybe some kind of misfire? I might try a cylinder balance test.

<

Reaction score
City, State
wauregan ct
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 ford explorer xlt
what do you mean a cylinder balance test. never heard of something phrased that way thank you for the reply

<

MrShorty

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Spanish Fork, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT and '87 Bronco II
Cylinder balance test is a test that tries to show if all of the cylinders are contributing equally. The basic idea is to idle the engine and disable each cylinder one at a time and see how disabling that cylinder effects the idle. A "good" cylinder will have a noticeable impact on the idle. Disabling a bad cylinder won't have any effect on the idle.

If you have sequential fuel injection, the PCM can run a cylinder balance test automatically. I mention how to enter the cylinder balance test in my "notes on pulling EEC-IV codes" thread in the EEC-IV forum. When I've done it manually, I've pulled the spark plug wires one at a time.

<

Reaction score
City, State
wauregan ct
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 ford explorer xlt
thanks thats understandable sad to say ive done this on other vehicles ill try it in a little bit

<

Reaction score
City, State
wauregan ct
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 ford explorer xlt
thanks for the info i i found a brand new wire with a problem

<