hesitation whenin gear | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

hesitation whenin gear

Reaction score
City, State
wauregan ct
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 ford explorer xlt
ill cut to the point it wouldnt start and had no code i put a new maf a new crank sensor and plugs and wires still no start then i put a pcm from another 93 explorer in it now it sarts.
starts fine but when in gear it hesitates bad to the point i wont leave the driveway i also have a popping noise coming frome the exhaust any ideas on how to fix would be very appreciative am currently taken the exhaust off to see if the cats a plugged

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe some kind of misfire? I might try a cylinder balance test.

what do you mean a cylinder balance test. never heard of something phrased that way thank you for the reply

Cylinder balance test is a test that tries to show if all of the cylinders are contributing equally. The basic idea is to idle the engine and disable each cylinder one at a time and see how disabling that cylinder effects the idle. A "good" cylinder will have a noticeable impact on the idle. Disabling a bad cylinder won't have any effect on the idle.

If you have sequential fuel injection, the PCM can run a cylinder balance test automatically. I mention how to enter the cylinder balance test in my "notes on pulling EEC-IV codes" thread in the EEC-IV forum. When I've done it manually, I've pulled the spark plug wires one at a time.

thanks thats understandable sad to say ive done this on other vehicles ill try it in a little bit

thanks for the info i i found a brand new wire with a problem

Back