Hesitation | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hesitation

PeterD

Reaction score
hello,

I bought a 92 Ford Explorer XL, 2 WD, 5 spd, and lately it has sort of been hesitating when i shift gears and shakes (like when you release the clutch too early and it shuts off). This usually happens on the 1st and 2nd gear and yesterday it hesitated in 4 gear and it seemed as if i was on neutral. Then it kicked back in and started driving normal. Last night when i was shifting to first gear, the car hesitated and stalled (first time this has happened). What could this be? Spark plugs and the wiring? Fuel injection? Could it be something I can fix myself and if not what could i expect to pay for it? I hope I was clear, thank you for your help!

Best Regards,
Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

RPMs?

Got me! Do you have a tach? Are the RPMs dropping real low when it shakes and/or dies? Could be fuel supply or injectors but really hard to say with so much automation in these engines. I'm stuck trying to troubleshoot myself. A shop quoted me $50 to plug it in and find out what the puter says. Good luck.

I was having a similiar problem with mine and thought it may be the clutch, but a friend of mine with a ranger suggested the spark plug wires. He was right. He said he had the same problem with his wires going bad and causing bad hesiatation. I got a new set from auto zone and it felt like a new truck again. I only had about 40K on it at the time. Hope this might help you.

Well, the RPMS dont drop dramatically, but they do since the car wont get power for what ever is causing this. Now its begining to give me the check engine, but goes away in a few minutes or just seconds when the car stops or goes into neutral. Someone also suggested it could be something like the fuel pump or filter. Does this make sense? Or could it just be the spark plugs and/or wires? Thanks!

Well, it seemed to be the air flow distributer. It was loose so my mechanic just tightened it up and so far nothing has gone wrong.

Thanks for your help!

Glad to hear you got it fixed. good luck in the future!

Back