Hey Guys im new here talking about gas milege | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hey Guys im new here talking about gas milege

01explorercoy

Reaction score
City, State
San Angelo TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hey everyone i just wanted to start off by saying this is a great website. Last Year i got my girl friend a 2001 xlt 4 door explorer 4.0 liter with 81,000 miles. Well she drives about 80 miles a day all highway and nobody believes me what kind of gas milage she is getting. I drove the explorer today and it has 113,000 miles on it and she is getting damn near 25 mpg every tank full driving at 65 and 70 mpg . The last fill up she got 440 miles on a tank and it held 18.1 gallons of gas and still had a 1/8 tank left. Has anyone else ever heard of a explorer getting this good of milage. THe 32,000 miles she has put on it and we have never had a problem with it and only put tires and brakes on it other than oil changes and that kind of stuff. I am really surprised with this vehicle. THanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had a '96 much like hers, and got 24 - 25 on all-highway trips. Unfortunately only 15 around town.

Oh man. Why did you go and do this??? Now you jinxed it good. You can just about bet your next tank will be down to 12 mpg... :D

I can get 25mpg easy in my 5.0 Explorer even with all of its power- it is all in the way you drive. I have a boost/vacuum gauge, so it makes it easy- I just watch the gauge and keep the needle as far under zero as I can.

Justin146 - Will you tell us more about the vacuum gauge you installed? What kind is it and how/where did you install it? Thanks.

Justin146 - Will you tell us more about the vacuum gauge you installed? What kind is it and how/where did you install it? Thanks.

It is an Autometer brand gauge and it installs to one of the vacuum lines on the intake manfold.

Thats not really unheard of, the sohc's are great motors.
I recently got 22 mpg on a highway trip pulling my 18 foot flats boat.

welcome

Back