Hey guys..need help with speaker specs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hey guys..need help with speaker specs

NeverminD

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
I've been told all 4 speakers on my 96 explorer xlt are 6x8 but crutchfield.com is telling me they are 5x7..im really confused and was hoping I could get some help here.. :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is gonna sound wierd, but they are the same. a 5x7 speaker has mounting holes that fit a 6x8. So if there is a certain brand you like that only has a 5x7, it will fit.

wow, i see..thank you so much for explaining that to me lol. well, i'm not too familiar with with 5x7 or 6x8 speakers...do you know of any good speakers you can recommend and possibly a component amp for them..? probaly looking to spend around 500-600 for the 4 speakers and amp. thanks again guys.

Well, I'm a big fan of JL Audio. Alpine, Kicker, & Rockford are great brands also. What I recommend, is go out and listen for yourself, see what you like and let me know.

infinity speakers are great

Check out Diamond Audio and Boston Acoustics very impressive

You don't have to use 5x7s, btw. You can buy a 6.5" component set and it will fit just fine. Some of them come with adapter plates/baffles, but if they don't, you can make some very easily. I would recommend a round speaker over a 5x7 for sound quality, although in theory you can get a little more midbass out of the larger oval speaker.

I ran JL TR 5x7 coaxials for a while. Not bad. They get loud. Then I upgraded to JL XRs. They sounded a little better, were mounted coaxially, but came with external passive crossovers. Then I moved those to the rear doors and put Boston Pro 60s up front, running active. They absolutely ROCK. With a decent (new) amp, they will probably be out of your price range, but they are very hard to beat at their price level. They like a ton of power, so that will drive up the price of your amp, too.

Everyone likes a different sound. And speakers sound different in different vehicles and on a wall in a sound room. Good luck.

So true, nice post!
I have my eyes on some Diamond 6" seperates.......drool drool

My BII has 15 speakers and well my daily driver Ex just doesnt quite have that staging yet

Back