• Register Today It's free!

Hey team, TIA

Bdubbs2018

Reaction score
City, State
Charlotte, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer XLT
Hey team, after reading through some forums, I decided I found the right place for my project, thanks in advance. I bought a new 2018 Explorer XLT, sport appearance, technology, tow package, etc, and I'm loving it even after 2 years. I have been giving her a face lift in the last few days, running boards, cross bars, etc, but I'm moving onto the sound system next, and I realize I'm a little lost. My experience with installing after market equipment is relegated to pre-technology vehicles, where you can simply replace the head unit, connect your amp, change out speakers, plug in the sub and off you go.
I am seeing posts where the explorer already has an amp available, but I do not think that is my case. I have the 8 inch display with Sync, not Sony. I found a thread with the 2016 wiring diagram, it looks like this configuration is not pre-wired for a sub, so my first question is that true?
Next question, if I am not pre-wired, I am fine with looking into a powered sub with a high line input to it, but I assume at that point I would splice into a rear speaker, or get after the connection on the head unit somehow, is that recommended?
I'm hoping there are already some threads that go into some detail on this. I am looking to get better sound, but I do not need to be heard from 2 blocks away, so any help is appreciated.

Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
There are several threads in this forum on Audio Upgrades and sub installations. The 'Search' feature will help you find them. Here are some of the more recent ones;

Peter

I changed all the speakers in my 18 Limited. Nice change in sound for sure.

Back