Hi all...need help...circular saw noise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hi all...need help...circular saw noise

blablabloom

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Eddy bauwer
Hi there,

I am new here and this is my first post. I have had this 95 explorer for about 6 years now with only one issue, Rebuilt the transmission at 150k. Now 3 years later I have 216k and going strong. The vehicule was in the family since new so I know the whole history. It is in excellent shape in and out except the Circular saw noise.
It all started a couple of weeks ago when my 4wd and OD lights started blinking a few times then stop randomly while driving. A week later I started hearing a noise , vibration a cruising speed on the hwy when I let my foot off the gas pedal. I checked further into the noise and it quickly became apparenty that I have a serious problem. I have replaced U joints and removed front drive shaft no change. When i drive the vehicule and keep some torque no problem, as soon as I remove my foot from the accelerator, at cruising speed aprox 45 m/h or higher, a circular saw noise start faint then in a matter of a few seconds increases to become pretty loud, As soon as i push gas it goes away.
I was told it is the rear end, I think it is in the transfer case. I have never dealt with 4X4 so i am not sure where to start...please help..
and this site have great info. Thanks in advance for all the help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

more info

Forgot to mention it is a 4.0 with automatic transmission, electrical 2/4wd switch on dash. The noise is happening in normal 2wd driving, Did not event attempt to switch to 4wd since the front driveshaft is removed. :)

I am not sure about the code, it is a 95 and I am told it is OBD I not 2 compatible...how do i pull the code on it?
I will drive it in the morning and see if the 4WD switch will make a difference or not. will keep you posted. I am not driving the car before knowing what is going on. I don't want to get things worse then they are. The longer i take my foot off the accelerator the louder the noise becomes and I mean LOUD, exactly as loud and like a circular saw cutting through wood or grinding metal. I am expecting gears beeing shewed up, but the question is where.
So i soon as I hear it I push the gas even a tad and it will go away. as soon as torque is pushing the car the noise stops.

Thanks.

try looking at your 4x4 auto locking hubs sometimes mine do that after i take it out of four wheel drive. im soon going to fix this with the manual lockers. mine dosent do this all the time just usaly when i take it out of four wheel drive.

So basicaly what i need to do is to put it in 4wd high or low and back to 2 wheels and see what happens...I am sorry but i know very little to nothing about 4 wheels drive, so excuse my ignorance...i am trying here...Thanks

welcome

THANK YOU GUYS...YOU ROCK... it was the wheel locks. Started the car , put it in 4WD high, then low. drove it 10 feet. Changed it back to 2WD and drove it. No more noise at cruising speed, no more blinking 4WD lights etc...
Thanks again to all, I am learning a great deal about my explorer on here.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

He doesn't have hubs to lock or unlock. The circular saw noise on deceleration is commonly an indicator of excessive transfer case wear. The shift rail bores wear out, allowing the low-range planetary gear set to slide over and grind when deceleration forces are applied to the gear face. Engaging and disengaging 4low may have forced the gearset back into its proper position, but odds are it's still on the edge of failure.

Common problem, with plenty of possible fixes available in the transfer cases forum. Search for 'transfer case grinding' and there will be plenty of threads on the issue.

-Joe

Pls advise what to do next

Gijoecam, you are absolutly right. I drove it again today to double check that the noise is gone and it broke down 5 minutes after I started. The transfer case is definetly the issue. The transmission is still good and turning but no load. I put the car in drive and checked under the car, drive shaft not turning... Now my question is as follows,
1) which way is best : Repair the excisting case, opening it and replacing parts that is.
2) found a warner 4405 used with 50k miles for $200 from a private guy locally.
3) a rebuilt case for $750.-
remenber the truck has 216 k miles on it and just used for normal driving, I use 4wd maybe once or twice a year...
so what should i do???:confused::confused::confused:

If it was mine, I would rebuild the case with case halves and a modified shift rail from www.omegamachine.com. However, their parts are a bit more expensive. A rebuilt case will only wear out again, unless the cases have been retrofitted with bushings on the shift rail bores, but in a vehicle with that kind of mileage, it may last longer than the truck itself, so it'd probably be OK. A used case is probably the cheapest way to go. However, you need to make sure you get one out of a 95-96 to fit yours. If my memory serves, there are a few differences for 97, and a few more for '98-up that will make them incompatible. Search in the transfer cases forum, and I know there will be more details over there.

Good luck!

T Case

Gijoecam, you are absolutly right. I drove it again today to double check that the noise is gone and it broke down 5 minutes after I started. The transfer case is definetly the issue. The transmission is still good and turning but no load. I put the car in drive and checked under the car, drive shaft not turning... Now my question is as follows,
1) which way is best : Repair the excisting case, opening it and replacing parts that is.
2) found a warner 4405 used with 50k miles for $200 from a private guy locally.
3) a rebuilt case for $750.-
remenber the truck has 216 k miles on it and just used for normal driving, I use 4wd maybe once or twice a year...
so what should i do???:confused::confused::confused:

If you use it that little I would go with the used one for 200.00. No sense spending money on something you don't use that much.
Of course make sure They will cover any problems and repair if it turns out to be a lemon T case
:usa:

Back