hi everyone and new lady member needs help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

hi everyone and new lady member needs help

wizadora69

Reaction score
City, State
warrington
Year, Model & Trim Level
none. yet!
hi to everyone, i am a uk based lady member of the 'uk' forum and have an important question.

how and why did the explorer get the nickname of 'exploder'?

glynis :exp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rest assured, it has nothing to do with the Explorer "exploding", it's just an affectionate pet name we have for our rides, a *******ization of the model name.

thank you, here in the uk some people convert them to run on gas(lpg) not gas as you guys know it, gas as in propane type stuff. and sometimes they fire back through the engine and destroy all the plastic bits. let me see now, hope i get this right, the 'airbox and manifold'. but, i have also been informed that they can do this on petrol also.
a bit late to be asking as i am buying one in a few days :rolleyes: but would like to know anyhows.

glynis.

welcome glynis

I'm actually quite familiar with LP gas, or Liquefied Petroleum Gas, I've run a couple of vehicles on LP gas as well as natural gas when I worked for Coca-Cola vending machine repair. If properly set up, they will not backfire up through the intake. The setup to convert a carbureted engine is quite simple compared with a fuel injection system and although you don't get as much horsepower from LP gas, the wear and tear on the mechanical components of the engine is reduced by quite a bit.

all the plastic bits. let me see now, hope i get this right, the 'airbox and manifold'. ...
glynis.

Welcome, and I love how you call things "plastic bits", that made me laugh.

The plastic part in the top center of the engine is the intake manifold, or intake.
The box where the air filter is, that's called the air cleaner, those names began over 50 years ago. The new speak these days of a "cold air intake", that's new, and dumb.

Ditto what is said above, the back firing is a result of poor tuning of the A/F mixture. Have the valvetrain inspected if you can, try to find out if any work was done before, that usually requires work soon.

Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to this forum! Some of them explode:
699973160_l.jpg

Welcome to this forum! Some of them explode:
699973160_l.jpg

is this common?
i have been told that by altering the air intake to facilitate more air to the engine this can be avoided, and that burning explorers were once the norm in america.

glynis.

There was a recall on the cruise control pressure sensor catching fire. Then they had a problem with the harness not being fused, and made a recall on a recall. This was the only time there were a bunch of reports of them catching fire.

Back