• Register Today It's free!

Hi everyone

98Collector

Reaction score
City, State
New York, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4.0 5-speed
How’s it going everyone, just registered, have been lurking for years, I’m in the process of getting my 98 xlt back on the road after sitting for almost five years, it’s coming along. Will try to document most of the stuff I’m doing. Just had convert and y pipe replaced, changed tires, next is seized ac compressor and sway bar links. I’ve had many different old explorers from 92 to 03s, you guys have been very helpful over the years. Thanks

image.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's a nice looking Explorer. How many miles are on it?

That's a nice looking Explorer. How many miles are on it?
Thanks 🙏 150k. I’ve had it since 2016 but haven’t driven it much since I’ve owned it. I just bought some snow tires for it on 3rd gen 16s, can’t wait to put them on, hopefully they fit well. Since I’ve taken It out of storage has been a little bit of a money pit, but it’s 5speed, so it’s nice to drive when it’s running well.

Welcome. At 150K it is just broken in. My wife had a 99 Sport we bought new. I did all the service on it & it had 275K on it when we sold it.

Welcome. At 150K it is just broken in. My wife had a 99 Sport we bought new. I did all the service on it & it had 275K on it when we sold it.
Thanks I appreciate it, I definitely hope it makes it past 200. I used to have a sport, it wasn’t in the best condition, but I only paid 900 for it, I believe it was a 96, it had leather and it ran pretty well.

The 4.0 that it has, is it the 4.0 OHV or the SOHC?

The older OHV has less issues compared to the SOHC.
That’s reassuring, because most of what I’ve read says the SOHC is better, has a lot more HP, etc. it’s def been a strong runner for the most part, I’ve taken care of it, with the exception of not starting it for more than three years and not draining any of the fluids, but the engine seems ok so far

It has less power but you don't have to worry about removing the engine to replace bad timing chains or timing cassettes.
Interesting, makes sense. I was hearing a slight clicking noise that I was scared was coming from engine after watching a video of a guy with a 2005 that had to pull motor because the timing chain on back side of motor was hitting against the cassette I think. My noise turned out to be coming from the alternator after using a stethoscope. I’m not super mechanical so anything involving timing is my worst fear, I’d probably have to just junk it

Back