Hi have a 2002 ford explorer v8 4.6 just had motor fully rebuild, and still have coolant mixing with engine oil, please help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hi have a 2002 ford explorer v8 4.6 just had motor fully rebuild, and still have coolant mixing with engine oil, please help

Scott Molloy

Reaction score
City, State
Brisbane qld
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hi i have a 2002 ford explorer v8 4.6 just rebuild motor, and still have coolant mixing with engine oil, compression test good, radiator leak down test pass any help much appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How is the oil filter housing? There is a gasket there that could go bad.

welcome to EF!

I had a 302 that was getting oil into the coolant, but not coolant into the oil. My mechanic friend said that indicated a crack in one of the heads that was so small it probably closed when the engine got up to operating temp. I traded the car rather than fix it, so I can't confirm that was the problem.

Hi is there an internal oil cooler inside radiator,
afaik yes there are 2 lines for trans fluid that go to the rad and it cools (or warms in cold temps) the fluid to close to coolant temp.it should be on the driver side of the rad and is 2 metal lines iirc

Back