Hi im new here and new to owning an explorer.i had a 97 that trans took dump on on 2007. Any way hello from west virginia. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hi im new here and new to owning an explorer.i had a 97 that trans took dump on on 2007. Any way hello from west virginia.

stevenalmon76

Reaction score
City, State
Morgantown
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 ford explorer ediie ba
Ok so i bought a 2007 eddie bauer explorer.150,000 miles great shape inside and out. No rust. Anyway bought it a week ago. Took it for a ride had no issues. When i went to pick it up the previous owner said he had an issue getting it into drive,had to shift down past 3rd and back up to get it in drive,i said ok sounds like linkage,i drove it around,everything was fine. Drove it home everything was fine. The folowing evening it wouldnt go into park. The next day i took it on a trip 40 miles intending to investigate the linkage after i was there. Drove the 40 miles no shifting issues no over reving nothing,arrived at my destination and fluid was all over. Then only had 3rd gear.. ffwd couple days it sat. I pulled it up on ramps and figured out i dont have tge tool and pump to fill it. Any way i ended up driving it home,i made it no leaks no slipping or over reving. Now my question is,is there any way it wasn't the front seal?? Am i kidding myself i wont have to pull it out? I mean i can do the work no problem but since its been 90 every day im not really wanting to do it. Im filling it up with fluid as soon as tools get here.

I am going to make an assumption that you have a V6 model and not a V8 one. The 5R55 transmissions that come with the V6 models are prone to failure and at 150k miles you are past the point this can happen at any time. You very likely could need a remanufactured/rebuilt transmission based on what you describe. You might get lucky and this is not the case. Do you know if the transmission has ever been replaced? If you have a V8 that uses the 6R60 transmission then the problem could be anything from bad coils interfering with the control wiring, to low fluid or electronic connections going bad etc. The odds of the transmission going bad to the point of replacing it is much lower but not zero.

Back