hi. im rebuilding 1997 explorer transfer case . i believe its a c trak type. it has a 4.0 SOHC motor with 5R55E trans. tag on the T.C. 4405-08 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

hi. im rebuilding 1997 explorer transfer case . i believe its a c trak type. it has a 4.0 SOHC motor with 5R55E trans. tag on the T.C. 4405-08

Ricksandoval

Reaction score
City, State
Price ut
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford explorer
rebuilding 1997 explorer transfer case . i believe its a c trak type. it has a 4.0 SOHC motor with 5R55E trans. tag on the T.C. H0561 109048 4405-08 F77A-GA. I need some help.

What a coincidence I’m doing the same thing just pulled my transfer case five minutes ago from two feet of snow. Here’s a thread:

that should help you, I have a little bit of power out to the front wheels from my transfer case then once the rear wheels start to slip I get nothing in the front. No pops or grinding either. Looks like someone has worked on mine before as well. Likely since its unique to its year with different drive shafts and sensors. Hopefully someone has an answer as to where I should look before I start teardown

Make sure you have bushings machined into the case halves, that is key to reliability. Replace the shift fork pads. Also get the SONNAX shift fork roller upgrade. Check the range collar.
Those are just the basic necessities, obviously you can replace a lot more.
They are pretty simple internally, just stay organized.

Back