How to: - Hi-Lift Jack Modification - By CBoug76 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Hi-Lift Jack Modification - By CBoug76

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Tools Needed:
Drill, 5/16 drill bit, 17/64 drill bit, File, & Pliers.
Parts needed:
1/4" x 1-3/4" Safety Snap Pin
hilift7.jpg

5/16 x 1-1/2" Cotterless clevis pin with a ring.
hilift6.jpg

Both parts were found at Home Depot, with a total cost of about $5.

Step 1, Remove cotter pin holing handle in.
hilift2.jpg

Step 2, Drill a hole using the 17/64 drill bit all the way thru the handle, using the cotter pin hole.

Step 3, File any burrs off.

Step 4, Test fit Handle, Running gear and 1/4" x 1-3/4" Safety Snap Pin.
hilift4.jpg

Step 5, Remove cotter pin holing base on to steel bar.
hilift1.jpg

Step 6, Drill out cotter pin hole in base with 5/16 drill bit.

Step 7, File any burrs off.

Step 8, Test Fit Steel bar, Base, & Cotterless clevis pin with a ring.

Optional Method
Purchase 2, 1/4" x 1-3/4" Safety Snap Pin.

Step 1, Remove cotter pin holding handle in.
hilift2.jpg

Step 2, Drill a hole using the 17/64 drill bit all the way thru the handle, using the cotter pin hole.

Step 3, File any burrs off.

Step 4, Test fit Handle, Running gear & 1/4" x 1-3/4" Safety Snap Pin.
hilift4.jpg

Step 5, Remove cotter pin holding base on to steel bar.
hilift1.jpg

Step 6, Test Fit Steel bar, Base, & 1/4" x 1-3/4" Safety Snap Pin.
hilift5.jpg
hilift3.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I thought the pins had a max weight and are suppose break if that weight is exceded. Is this true?????????

Yes you are correct, but the pins I changed are not the pins that you are talking about.

The pins you are talking about are the Climbing pins, they are the ones that go in and out of the Verticle Bar.

At no time is there ever any weight on the Pin that I changed.

Gotcha! What was the reason for the stronger pins. I dont' mean to be ignorant but I've never used my HI lift. I might need it this weekend at Frank Raines and Hollister.

the Reason I did this modification, was to make the Jack easier to take apart and re-assemble. As we all know the Hi-Lift Jack Does not fit well inside the Explorer, Well atleast when it is all assembled.

I agree it's a pain in the a$$ to carry around inside the X. I bought the mounts and mounted her to my front bumper. I like this alot. For one I can't hear it rattle around inside and it looks tough and I figure it adds some strengh to the front bumper.

CBoug76 said:
Yes you are correct, but the pins I changed are not the pins that you are talking about.

The pins you are talking about are the Climbing pins, they are the ones that go in and out of the Verticle Bar.

I dont believe that is correct. If you are jacking up a load and those pins would break it would be a huge safety hazard because the load would fall. The bolt that is designed to break is connected to the handle. It is the bolt in your 3rd picture in the lower left corner.

Oh Ok.... But Still I am Right when I say that the Pins that I have changed do NOT affect the safety features of the Jack.

That pin on the handle does not bear a load, it is jsut there to keep the handle in place so it doesnt come out when you dont want it to. Mine doesn't even have one. (i think thats the pin u are talking about)

And i mounted mine to the stock roof racks to get it out of the back of the truck.

A 48" jack fits prefectly beneath the back seat, all assembled. :thumbsup:

However, for mounting it else where this is a great mod.

Jefe said:
A 48" jack fits prefectly beneath the back seat, all assembled. :thumbsup:

However, for mounting it else where this is a great mod.

Ditto! :D ( he means under)

Why take up space inside, mount it outside for some off road bling bling.........

FREERIDER712 said:
Why take up space inside, mount it outside for some off road bling bling.........

If you mount it outside it can rust up and become a pain to use. Might not be to much of an issue on a newer one but mine is fairly old and if I leave it outside and it rains it ends up needing a good lube job to get it working smoothly again. I have a 60" jack and while I like the extra length it makes it a PIA to mount anywhere.

This is the first time I have seen this post and next time I am at home depot I will be picking up a few of these items. Should work better then the bent over nail I am using to hold the handle on now.

Back