• Register Today It's free!

Hi there- need your help

03explorer08

Reaction score
City, State
San Antonio, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer XLT
Good evening. I am glad I was able to become a member and part of the community and I'm excited to see how we can all help each other. I have a 2003 Ford Explorer XLT that has been making a creaking noise on the front driver side when I turn. This upcoming October will be 1 year we've had this truck and it has given us minimal issues. Whoever had it took good care of it. The truck now has 180k and about 7 months ago we replaced the wheel hub and bearing on the front driver side. The creaking usually only happens when's it's a slow turn like at a stop sign and I can hear it more when I'm making a left turn. It started about 1 month ago and seems to be happening a little more often now. Not sure if something needs to be lubricated or if it's something bigger. I am taking the truck to get checked out by the mechanic on this Friday but kind of want a head start so I won't get my eyes poked.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the club.
Ball joints & bushings--good luck!

I'm new here too but not to Fords and my son's 2001 XLS does the same as you describe when turning, especially at full extension and will clunk when there is a dip in the turn. Though describing mechanical noises is difficult , it certainly sounds like ball joint replacement time. A visual inspection of tie rod, A arm, & sway bar bushings and rubber mounts during my install of KYB gas a adjust shocks @ 152K miles, showed none had significant issues such as cracks or a gap in bushing or missing bushing material on the radial contact points, but the rubber boot on the ball joint was so torn I could see the joint it'self was highly worn as you could see past the rubber due to a large tear in the boot (the passenger side tear was worse abut driver's side also showed torn rubber). So I used a mechanic's stethoscope on the passenger lower the ball joint while raising it with a jack and unloaded it at the highest height of compression of the shock, to duplicate the load and unloading of the ball joint and the clunk is definitely coming from the ball joint. Ball joints were common issue for Ford Xs and several TSBs were issued as Facoptry Ball Joints failed at early mileage if in rough duty, so I am looking to buy a high reliability grease-able brand such as TTX, XRF or Raybestos Pro Grade (TRW Spicer) as I hear Moog has gone down hill since their Chapter 11 but would like to hear from those of you here whom have replaced with these brands and have a more than 10K miles on them now? I hate doing jobs before their normal mileage expectancy due to inferior part quality!

Welcome to the forums, 03explorer08!

Back