Hi world! Help please? Coolant leak | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hi world! Help please? Coolant leak

Mattcarnehl

Reaction score
City, State
Apex, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Ranger XLT
Hey guys, this page has been extremely helpful thanks to all of you. I’m really new to this DIY car stuff and this website has been a life saver. I have a 2000 ranger xlt 3L V6. I’ve recently come across a coolant leak under the bottom of the engine and I’m not sure where to start investigating. It doesn’t seem like the typical thermostat/hose issues I’ve run into before. Do any of you guys have a recommendation how to proceed from here? Thank you so much In advance!
FCC723C3-3A1D-40C0-9D50-D502F59A399F.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

follow the wetness up as high as possible to find the source.
You can also dry the area and then spray it with some Arid extra dry antiperspirant......then when the wetness returns the source will be clear

The coolant is coming along the side of the timing cover.......... but appears to be coming from up higher, perhaps from that upper hose/thermostat area

follow the wetness up as high as possible to find the source.
You can also dry the area and then spray it with some Arid extra dry antiperspirant......then when the wetness returns the source will be clear

The coolant is coming along the side of the timing cover.......... but appears to be coming from up higher, perhaps from that upper hose/thermostat area
I’ll keep digging and try the antiperspirant.

thank you!

I’ll keep digging and try the antiperspirant.

thank you!

@Mattcarnehl

Looks like a classic FORD timing cover gasket leak, right at the match up point/hole with the water pump.

The gasket is between the front of the engine block and the rear of the timing cover assembly.

Here's my write up on the 4.0 OHV V6 timing cover gasket leak - you'll get the idea what to look for on your 3.0 Liter OHV

LINK: Removing timing cover on 4.0 OHV

Hope that helps!

@Mattcarnehl

Looks like a classic FORD timing cover gasket leak, right at the match up point/hole with the water pump.

The gasket is between the front of the engine block and the rear of the timing cover assembly.
That would suck I'd use some K seal

@Mattcarnehl

Here's my write up on the 4.0 OHV V6 timing cover gasket leak - you'll get the idea what to look for on your 3.0 Liter OHV

LINK: Removing timing cover on 4.0 OHV

Hope that helps!
Awesome thank you! While digging a little more it looks like this is pretty common with my truck. Doesn’t look super difficult but very time consuming

That would suck I'd use some K seal

Just sayin' :)

The problem is all rotating assemblies, vibration & weight hanging off the front of the aluminum timing cover bolted to the cast iron blokc.

Even though it's bolted in place, the timing cover basically is moving around, expanding & contracting, and it wears through the gasket.

After that occurs, it only gets worse...

Your Mileage May Vary ;)

Awesome thank you! While digging a little more it looks like this is pretty common with my truck. Doesn’t look super difficult but very time consuming

@Mattcarnehl

80% of the job is surface prep "cleanliness" and 10% is chasing the threads in the block and cleaning the threads on the bolts for proper torque upon re-assembly.

I highly suggest you seek out the OEM/FORD Gasket - check Ebay.

Guessing it's green teflon coated paper like the 4.0

Go slow and set aside a weekend to do it - this is not a rush job if your goal is no leaks.

Plus - on a 20 year old truck, you'll probably uncover other stuff while you're in the engine compartment that you'll want to take care of before it becomes a problem.

NOTE: there is a link in the 1st article to my 2nd write up on the subject - despite all my research, I found out the hard way that there is an order associated with the torquing as due to gravity everything wants to go downwards.

Link to 2nd Write Up: 4.0 OHV Timing Cover & Gasket Issues

Just sayin' :)

The problem is all rotating assemblies, vibration & weight hanging off the front of the aluminum timing cover bolted to the cast iron blokc.

Even though it's bolted in place, the timing cover basically is moving around, expanding & contracting, and it wears through the gasket.

After that occurs, it only gets worse...

Your Mileage May Vary ;)
You are right I only mention it because I've seen it work on problems like this before and it's permanent
I'd say worth a shot

You are right I only mention it because I've seen it work on problems like this before and it's permanent
I'd say worth a shot

@donalds

I hear ya' Donald - that's why I used my "just sayin" disclaimer along with a smiley face ;)

The thing is if the INNER part of the timing cover gasket wears where the water pump matches up you get water in your oil resulting in a catastrophic failure ala 5th Gen Explorer Cyclone V-6 Engines :cool:

Here's my 4.0 Gasket so you get the idea - this is worn on the outer edges

dscn2380-jpg.jpg

I have (my Son's) a 99 Ranger 3.0 with 177k and recently went through this. I paid a guy at my work to do mine as I could see I was not going to have time to do it. I am glad I did as big of a pain it ended up being. We ended up having to replace the timing cover as it was very pitted and in bad shape. Water pump since it was off also while there did the timing chain since it had some slop. He had some issues where the cover meets up to the oil pan and had to use lots of sealer. Just letting you know mine was not as straight forward as we thought going in.

I have (my Son's) a 99 Ranger 3.0 with 177k and recently went through this. I paid a guy at my work to do mine as I could see I was not going to have time to do it. I am glad I did as big of a pain it ended up being. We ended up having to replace the timing cover as it was very pitted and in bad shape. Water pump since it was off also while there did the timing chain since it had some slop. He had some issues where the cover meets up to the oil pan and had to use lots of sealer. Just letting you know mine was not as straight forward as we thought going in.

@N2FORD

It's definitely no walk in the park - it's a 9 out of 10 with 1 being the easiest and 10 being the hardest.

And the older these vehicles get on past 20 years old, the deeper the rabbit hole you might find yourself going down - especially on a vehicle that you don't know about it's past owner and how he maintained it.

I have the formal automotive education as well as twenty plus years of hands on experience, and happened to be in between jobs when my gasket went south, so I had the time to put into it.

I've done all the documentation as my gift to the forum - now's the time for a new generation of owners to get their hands dirty ;)

I love getting my hands dirty ohh yea
Can't stand gloves lol

Nothing like being elbow deep in a internal combustion engine

Hey guys, this page has been extremely helpful thanks to all of you. I’m really new to this DIY car stuff and this website has been a life saver. I have a 2000 ranger xlt 3L V6. I’ve recently come across a coolant leak under the bottom of the engine and I’m not sure where to start investigating. It doesn’t seem like the typical thermostat/hose issues I’ve run into before. Do any of you guys have a recommendation how to proceed from here? Thank you so much In advance!View attachment 321327
You will need a pressure tester for the cooling system. After you pressureize the system a good light and time. Freeze plugs are not fun.

Good to hear you can handle it, just wanted to give you a heads up what we ran into. I play a mechanic at home but that was more than I thought I could do on my limited free time.

Back