• Register Today It's free!

Hi

BroncoIIPower

Reaction score
City, State
Mesa, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1989 Ford Explorer
I'm Matt. I'm addicted to Bronco II's. My sister said she wanted a Bronco for her graduation present. She wanted an EB, my father bought her a 1987 Bronco II 5-Speed 4WD. She threw a fit and didn't want to learn to drive a stick, so he ended up buying her a 1994 Explorer and I got the Bronco. Ever since then I've been hooked on these trucks.

I currently own a 1990 2WD Bronco II that has been sitting for the past 5 or 6 years. I bought the truck from a Dutch guy who was in pilot school. He was selling it because school was over and he couldn't take it home. I was told the heads blew, they rebuilt the top half and the bottom half went out. The top half has 4 running hours on it.

I bought a 2.9 out of an 88 Bronco II to put into the 90. I was told the 88 motor had about 90k on it. I got a gasket set to reseal the motor before dropping it in. I tore into the motor to discover the internals looked like they had less miles than what I was told. My father and I decided the mileage was closer to 50k than 90k.

I read about the improved heads on the 89-90 motors so I decided I was going to swap the 90 heads onto the 88 motor. When I pulled the valve covers off we found 2 push rods had fallen out of place on the drivers side. Also the front and rear bolts that hold the rocker arm in place were not torqued down. I had little problem spinning them with my fingers.

My buddy (who owns a Cherokee and is a master tech) and my father told me the engine might still be good. As it stands now I am waiting to do a compression test to see if my Bronco II can come to life with minimal effort.

Here are some pictures of the truck:

1990 Bronco II

The engine on the stand is out of the 88 I mentioned earlier.

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks. Glad to be here. I love coming to forums like these. The tech sections are what interest me. I also LOVE the build threads. The pictures entertain me. It is amazing to see BII's of all shapes and sizes and what people invision their trucks to be.

Back