• Register Today It's free!

Hi

Aflo4

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Worth, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey guys I'm new to this page. So I bought a 2002 Ford explorer xlt for $1,500.00 at an auction. I dod a tune up oil change, spark plugs, air filter and oil filter. I've noticed that when I drive it over 40mph the back end feels real loose. It feels almost like its going to roll, it sways on the freeway or if it's really windy. Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey guys I'm new to this page. So I bought a 2002 Ford explorer xlt for $1,500.00 at an auction. I dod a tune up oil change, spark plugs, air filter and oil filter. I've noticed that when I drive it over 40mph the back end feels real loose. It feels almost like its going to roll, it sways on the freeway or if it's really windy. Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks guys.
The "feels almost like its going to roll" thing could be nothing more than sway bar links and those are a cheep fix. What is the condition of the suspension? Have you had the rear tires off to see what the struts, ball joints, sway bar links, and sway bar bushings look like? It also probably needs an alignment. Check the wear pattern on the tires to see if it's even or not.

A vehicle that ends up in an auction has often not been maintained at all for an extended period. I would change out the fuel filter and the gear oil in both differentials. A change of the transmission fluid and filter and a coolant flush are probably both in order as well.

Did you clean the top of the engine when you did your tune up (MAF sensor, throttle body, etc)?

How many miles are on it?

LMHmedchem

So the explorer has 160,000 miles on it. When I did the tune up, I did not clean the top of the engine as I'm not much of a mechanic I didn't know :(. The tires were OK I just replaced them yesterday and got an alignment. The tech at the shop advised me that the alignment on the back was OK. After the alignment was done the truck feels the same way. Tomorrow I will take a look at the bushing and sway bar link to see if they need replacing. Also how would I know if the sway bar link needs replacing? Thanks guys.

Also check for broken coil springs.

So the explorer has 160,000 miles on it. When I did the tune up, I did not clean the top of the engine as I'm not much of a mechanic I didn't know :(. The tires were OK I just replaced them yesterday and got an alignment. The tech at the shop advised me that the alignment on the back was OK. After the alignment was done the truck feels the same way. Tomorrow I will take a look at the bushing and sway bar link to see if they need replacing. Also how would I know if the sway bar link needs replacing? Thanks guys.

Wow, you got an alignment and they didn't check all the links?

Remember to not only check the sway bar links
2L2Z5K483A-BOT__ra_p.jpg

but check the sway bar bushings
MK80079_FRO__ra_p.jpg

at the frame too.

Thanks guys. I will replace both front and rear tomorrow. I've looked up videos on YouTube and it's seems pretty easy. I will give you guys an update tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks guys. I will replace both front and rear tomorrow. I've looked up videos on YouTube and it's seems pretty easy. I will give you guys an update tomorrow afternoon.
There is no reason to replace the sway bar links unless one or more of then is broken or missing. If all 4 of them are there and intact, then the sway bar links are not the problem. If one or more is missing or broken, then you could feel some lean and instability in situations like turning onto an exit ramp at high speed.

As suggested, you should check the sway bar bushings the hold the sway bars to the frame and report what condition they are in (meaning if the sway bars are loose or not).

Whoever did your alignment should have reported to you if there were any broken parts such as sway bar links, ball joints, or coil springs. did they give you a printed report?

LMHmedchem

No they didn't. I requested one but he told me his printer was down after he was done doing the alignment.

No they didn't. I requested one but he told me his printer was down after he was done doing the alignment.
If you do find any broken parts, I would suspect if they ever actually did an alignment or not. I find it very odd that you would have a rear end issue with no broken parts that would not be fixed by an alignment. I assume you asked for a 4-wheel alignment and not just the front end.

At any rate, I would take off each rear tire and carefully check to make sure there are no broken, missing, or loose parts in the rear end. You might also want to check the stability of the axles in the rear differential and signs of leaks there. If you find broken parts, I would go and talk to the manager at the alignment shop and ask why the broken parts were not reported on. I would also ask about the printout. How can you evaluate your suspension without looking at the adjustments that were made?

LMHmedchem

Back