HID bulb problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HID bulb problems

r1cky0h

Reaction score
Hi guys new to the forum but I had a quick question for the guys with aftermarket HID kits. So I bought a set of bulbs online. But when I went to install them last night they were super difficult to get in. They just wouldn't twist on normally like the OEM bulbs. The passenger side I managed to get in by pushing and twisting the bulb with a pair of pliers. The driver side though I had to leave the stock bulb on because only 2 of the 3 prongs would go in. Should I shave off some of the base with a file or dremmel? Anybody else experience this? Thanks for the help in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I could get all the tabs in, just wouldn't turn. Just had to take breaks and come back and try again.

I wish I could give you some tips but it finally just turned.

Hi guys new to the forum but I had a quick question for the guys with aftermarket HID kits. So I bought a set of bulbs online. But when I went to install them last night they were super difficult to get in. They just wouldn't twist on normally like the OEM bulbs. The passenger side I managed to get in by pushing and twisting the bulb with a pair of pliers. The driver side though I had to leave the stock bulb on because only 2 of the 3 prongs would go in. Should I shave off some of the base with a file or dremmel? Anybody else experience this? Thanks for the help in advance.

I found it easiest to remove the original bulb and hold it at the same angle you had to turn it to release it.. then match the tabs of the new bulb up w/ the tabs of the old bulb so that you are inserting it at the exact same angle, if you push in it should twist and click easily at that point.

My mind automatically would reverse the angle when I did not do this and I kept trying to put it in while turned 45 degrees the wrong way.

Where did you buy these HID kits? The reason I am asking is because I bought mine from Coolbulbs.com and they were installed in less than an hour with no problems whatsoever and that' was doing both kits, for the mains and the fogs. I saw the guy installing them and he just took off the halogen bulbs and installed the HID with just one twist. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I have heard and read that some of these cheap Chinese HID kits have the tendency of not fitting right into the original housing lens

That's good to hear. I just ordered mine from cool bulbs as well.

I had the same experience and actually broke one os the tabs trying to get it in. I fortunately received a replacement set and that bulb went in with no effort. I dont know if it was a difference in the housing or if I was using too much pressure initially. Best of luck.

I had the same experience and actually broke one os the tabs trying to get it in. I fortunately received a replacement set and that bulb went in with no effort. I dont know if it was a difference in the housing or if I was using too much pressure initially. Best of luck.

Manufacturer? Place you bought it from?

Photos of my HID's from Coolbulbs.com . I went with 8000k's. They have a hint of blue which I like and they are bright enough for me at night.

ExplorerSport12_zps56ec7dca.jpg

ExplorerSport13_zps7cb6979f.jpg

ExplorerSport14_zps033d4a60.jpg

6A4-1DC254E7218B-2737-0000012B3BF4837D_zps0a8b4a0f.jpg

C7A-C50A0A3CE1AC-2737-0000012B34C626C1_zps381b6102.jpg

i also purchased mine through Coolbulbs. my husband installed both sets (mains and fogs) in less than an hour. I ordered the 6000ks on both. I love them! What a difference.

i also purchased mine through Coolbulbs. my husband installed both sets (mains and fogs) in less than an hour. I ordered the 6000ks on both. I love them! What a difference.

Congrats on your new set of HID bulbs from coolbulbs.com
I was pretty sure that you will like their hid kits. They are one of the best in the market. They certaintly enhance the beauty of the Sport!!

No problems with the auto setting? I had seen another post you had made saying you had concerns NY1PR2012

No problems with the auto setting? I had seen another post you had made saying you had concerns NY1PR2012

Yes it's true that I had posted another thread concerning the problems that some owners were having with some HID kits while using the auto setting in their cars but that was before I purchased the HID kits from Coolbulbs.com . Their kits do not have that problem and they work flawlessly with no problems at all specially using the "Auto" setting on the light switch. I highly recommend them. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

That's good to hear. I bought a set. I'm in Canada. I emailed Andrew and questioned why they haven't gotten here yet. He sent them the day after I ordered them. They entered Canada on Mar 5th. Still haven't received them yet........ The wait is killing me. LOL. I ordered set of 6000K. I'll post up some picks once I get them installed (if they ever get here) USPS beat Canada to getting it to the border from California. Must have entered Canada at the BC border. Now it's being sent by horseback across the great white north...... We're going to have the same ex. I have also ordered a set of DeeZee's and I have the side window deflectors. Only difference is I ordered a black shark fin for my white Sport. Next is a CAI from Injen. I also ordered 2 iPads for the back seats with holders for the kids as well as weather tec floor mats to include 3rd row and cargo area.

Where did you buy these HID kits? The reason I am asking is because I bought mine from Coolbulbs.com and they were installed in less than an hour with no problems whatsoever and that' was doing both kits, for the mains and the fogs. I saw the guy installing them and he just took off the halogen bulbs and installed the HID with just one twist. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I have heard and read that some of these cheap Chinese HID kits have the tendency of not fitting right into the original housing lens

Hello NY1PR2012, Looking to purchase a hid kit from coolbulds.com and wanted to know did you need two set of balasts for the main and fogs?

Back