HID bulbs for hi/low/fogs

shadowless127

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 EB AWD 5.0
I don't have the $$$ or the time to do a complete HID conversion on the mounty (prolly do that around summer when i add a bullbar and some KC's) but I do want brighter bulbs.

What are the best HID bulbs that will fit in my mounty?

I know this is the lame way of going, but it's only temporary.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

AFAIK, HID simulator bulbs are often dimmer then stock, because they sacrifice brightness for the blue color.

My honest suggestion is just to get some HID kits from vvme.com and skip the intermediary step -- the single-bulb kits are only 43 bucks, compared to 50$ for a set of Silverstar bulbs.

HTH.

Whats up, I would just go w/ silverstars honestly if you wanna just get some quick bulbs in. I put HID's in my Mounty (which is the model b4 urs) after 2 years of changing bulbs over and over. The bulb war gets you no where lol. Def. put some money aside if you can and go for HID's when you can. I ordered a Bi-Xenon kit (Gives you hi and lo vs. just lo) and its works great. If you use ur fogs a lot like me, I wouldn't go HID there. The overwhelming brightness will just blind u in the fog. Unless u just want the look of all HID's in the front, which I can understand too thou, just go for HID headlights

P.S. - I'm from Huntington, what about you?

I suggest McCulloch brand HID kit. They run $230 or so but Ive had a kit in my Ranger for going on 3 years and Ive have ZERO problems. In fact I just put a 5000K McCulloch set in my Saturn.

Whats up, I would just go w/ silverstars honestly if you wanna just get some quick bulbs in. I put HID's in my Mounty (which is the model b4 urs) after 2 years of changing bulbs over and over. The bulb war gets you no where lol. Def. put some money aside if you can and go for HID's when you can. I ordered a Bi-Xenon kit (Gives you hi and lo vs. just lo) and its works great. If you use ur fogs a lot like me, I wouldn't go HID there. The overwhelming brightness will just blind u in the fog. Unless u just want the look of all HID's in the front, which I can understand too thou, just go for HID headlights

P.S. - I'm from Huntington, what about you?

Originally from Smithtown, in farmingville for now, but moving to ronkonkoma in the next few months.

I use my fogs ALL the time, I turned them on when I purchased the truck and they haven't been off since. I guess theoretically I dont need HIDs in the fogs if I toss on a set of KC's and a bullbar down the road. I personally don't care about the look, I care about the visability.

From what I'm reading it looks like I'll be sticking w/ stock for now and just wait to go full HID.

Keep your stock bulbs and save, it's not worth it.. "hyper-white" bulbs are dimmer, but whiter.

i put 9005 high beam bulbs in my fog lights they plug right in you just have to take off a little to make them snap in like the stock ones. the wireing part snaps right together. just buy a 9005 and look at the plastic part that holds emm in you will see what i mean. you will be very happy with that. i never use my high beams and its perfect in the fog

AFAIK, HID simulator bulbs are often dimmer then stock, because they sacrifice brightness for the blue color.

My honest suggestion is just to get some HID kits from vvme.com and skip the intermediary step -- the single-bulb kits are only 43 bucks, compared to 50$ for a set of Silverstar bulbs.

HTH.

Second that..... I just got my 3rd pair (4300k - h3 to put in cheap walmart driving lights casing) from these guys (about $60.00 including s&h from china) - the ballast has hella stickers (might be fake)... for the money... they are better than silverstars...

I have cheap ebay HID in my other car for about 2 years without any problem, and in my eX i have low without problem to.

IMHO you should get HID and buy then one at the time, that way you wont have to break your bank to get then, it took me 3 months to put HID in my other car, one kit each month but now i have then all.

I spend a lot of money on HID like bulbs, Silverstar are the best you can get, if you dont want to mess with HID, but no other bulb worth the money. Specially for the prices of HID now days.

Back