HID Conversion Kit... eh, rethinking the install | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HID Conversion Kit... eh, rethinking the install

NJExplorerFan

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Limited
I gotta say to all the lighting upgrade people out there... I recently installed a Diode Dynamics HID conversion kit. The lighting output is great. Much better than stock 9005 halogen bulbs. I was like a kid on Christmas morning putting them in. As I got more and more used to driving with them at night, I'm noticing more and more that the cutoff is not what appeared to be perfect when I installed them. I guess I was blind to them (no pun intended, lol). I don't know if my bulb isn't in right, but it seems it goes way too high on the sides (especially the driver's side). The light projection seems off and a bit all over the place. It doesn't appear to be blinding anyone but it very well could be at certain angles and I'm just unaware since nobody has flashed me. I'm gonna double check the driver's side bulb I put in, but after spending the $150 for the kit, I'm not sure I want to continue driving like this. Maybe your input can help me make a decision.

I guess everything I been reading is true... you MUST have a HID projector for a set-up like this. I look at my wife's factory HID's on her Acura and the cutoff is a perfect straight line. Mine looks like a bunch of waves in the ocean.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you tried adjusting the housings? This is one of the reasons HID conversions are technically illegal. There must be an automatic leveling system installed so they can be adjusted automatically based on the attitude of the vehicle at start up. All OEM installations have these systems in place. Have you watched your wife's car at start up? Watch the lamps they will either drive up/down then stop or will flicker real fast as the system levels itself. That is the reason OEM systems are so expensive because there are transducers at each wheel that determine the sit of the car at start up and adjust the lamps accordingly so they do not blind oncoming drivers. Your best bet is to put them in and try adjusting the housings to get the best cut off.

I gotta say to all the lighting upgrade people out there... I recently installed a Diode Dynamics HID conversion kit. The lighting output is great. Much better than stock 9005 halogen bulbs. I was like a kid on Christmas morning putting them in. As I got more and more used to driving with them at night, I'm noticing more and more that the cutoff is not what appeared to be perfect when I installed them. I guess I was blind to them (no pun intended, lol). I don't know if my bulb isn't in right, but it seems it goes way too high on the sides (especially the driver's side). The light projection seems off and a bit all over the place. It doesn't appear to be blinding anyone but it very well could be at certain angles and I'm just unaware since nobody has flashed me. I'm gonna double check the driver's side bulb I put in, but after spending the $150 for the kit, I'm not sure I want to continue driving like this. Maybe your input can help me make a decision.

I guess everything I been reading is true... you MUST have a HID projector for a set-up like this. I look at my wife's factory HID's on her Acura and the cutoff is a perfect straight line. Mine looks like a bunch of waves in the ocean.

You mention the light goes up too high on the sides. I don’t think that’s a direct result of the HID bulbs. My factory bulbs seem to have that upward ‘bow’ on the sides.

Regarding the perfect cutoff of the factory HID in the Acura, I can believe that. My wife's CX9 with factory HID's have a perfectly level cut-off(well, has a few steps down to the left to prevent blinding oncoming traffic) and the light distribution side to side is very consistent(no obvious "hot spots"). That's what you get with the properly design projector for HID bulbs. I plan to go the 9011 bulb way in the next couple months as I've heard it's an improvement over the 9005 bulbs.

Have you tried adjusting the housings? This is one of the reasons HID conversions are technically illegal. There must be an automatic leveling system installed so they can be adjusted automatically based on the attitude of the vehicle at start up. All OEM installations have these systems in place. Have you watched your wife's car at start up? Watch the lamps they will either drive up/down then stop or will flicker real fast as the system levels itself. That is the reason OEM systems are so expensive because there are transducers at each wheel that determine the sit of the car at start up and adjust the lamps accordingly so they do not blind oncoming drivers. Your best bet is to put them in and try adjusting the housings to get the best cut off.

If you are referring OEM systems for all factory HID(all manufacturers) having self leveling, that would be inaccurate. My 2007 Mazda Speed 6 had factory HID, but were not self leveling, neither are my wife's CX9. They both have a adjustment knobs for manual adjustment though.

Neither my 2011 Limited nor my MKT have auto leveling lights.

Peter

There must be an automatic leveling system installed so they can be adjusted automatically based on the attitude of the vehicle at start up. All OEM installations have these systems in place.

Negatory. Many OEM HID headlights don't have these. Simply not true I'm afraid.

Tony

Mine looks like a bunch of waves in the ocean.

Can you post a picture of the beam cutoff? My vehicle with an aftermarket kit isn't perfectly straight either, but it's pretty close. As a side note, many OEM HID vehicles also don't have a perfectly straight cutoff either. Some are better than others, with Acura usually having phenomenal systems.

Tony

All of my previous card that had HID Xenon head lights did! They may have gotten more advanced.

my housing is stock....line is pretty dam strait

my housing is stock....line is pretty dam strait

Mine (14 Sport DD Conversion HID) too.

My previous Ford OEM HIDs in my 13 were not straight across.

Mine (14 Sport DD Conversion HID) too.

My previous Ford OEM HIDs in my 13 were not straight across.

You know what, I twisted the bulb in a different direction and I think it might have helped but I haven't seen at night yet. Looking forward behind the bulb, what direction should it go, horizontally ( - ) or vertically ( I ) ? And what side does the parallel running metal bar along side the bulb go?

You know what, I twisted the bulb in a different direction and I think it might have helped but I haven't seen at night yet. Looking forward behind the bulb, what direction should it go, horizontally ( - ) or vertically ( I ) ? And what side does the parallel running metal bar along side the bulb go?

I had similiar issues because you're essentially installing the bulb by feel not sight.

My first time I never got the bulb seated correctly and once fixed the cutoff was bang on OEM.

Im not sure which way the parallel bar runs actually I was just happy with it seating correctly and the improved light output.

my light pattern does go up slightly on the L/R edges of each unit but I have yet to be "flashed" by oncoming drivers.

The below is a pic I created to show the stock halogens cut-off vs the new HID cut-off. You'll notice the difference most in the middle where it dips down. The stock set-up has some waves but generally shows a straight pattern going slightly higher to the right. I'm not really sure what the HID kit is doing here.

This is with the back of the bulbs tab in a horizontal position ( - ), I'm not certain which side the metal bar running parallel to the bulb is, or if it even matters.

To see the picture, click here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/26396595@N07/21220432186/in/dateposted-public/

Did your bulbs go in easy? The reason I ask is the bulbs I got would not turn all the way in the socket, they'd turn like 1/16 of an inch. I had to file them just a little bit to get them to turn all the way.

The below is a pic I created to show the stock halogens cut-off vs the new HID cut-off. You'll notice the difference most in the middle where it dips down. The stock set-up has some waves but generally shows a straight pattern going slightly higher to the right. I'm not really sure what the HID kit is doing here.

This is with the back of the bulbs tab in a horizontal position ( - ), I'm not certain which side the metal bar running parallel to the bulb is, or if it even matters.

To see the picture, click here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/26396595@N07/21220432186/in/dateposted-public/

Yeah that's funky. Stock looks better in that pic. Did you trying calling the manufacturer to ask for any tips?

Yeah that's funky. Stock looks better in that pic. Did you trying calling the manufacturer to ask for any tips?

Right??? Very strange. When I twist the bulb tab in the vertical up/down position, it's a little better but then it glares out high up to the left.

Maybe one or both bulbs are just not seated right. Perhaps I have to play around with it a little more.

I had plans to call the company I bought this from on my ride home from work today. I'll see what they say.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did your bulbs go in easy? The reason I ask is the bulbs I got would not turn all the way in the socket, they'd turn like 1/16 of an inch. I had to file them just a little bit to get them to turn all the way.

You know, it's very weird. It kind of goes into place and sits still and I assume it's in the right position. But, I don't feel a rotation and/or twist/click into place type of feeling I would get from installing an OEM halogen bulb. I don't know if it's just cheap quality or what the deal is. Tough to do this since you can't "see" anything when putting it in. You gotta go by feel.

Back