HID foglight install with pictures. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HID foglight install with pictures.

Greg_DonWindsor

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Calgary, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Limited V8 4x4
Hey guys,

since I had so much trouble getting this HID foglight installation to work, dealing with several bulb and kit compatibility issues, and after having searched several threads on the topic, I decided to document my own experience due to all the hurdles I encountered, just in case anyone ever runs into similar trouble trying to pull this off.

Thanks to the wisdom of several board members, I realized that the 6000k HID H3 foglight conversion kit I got had the wrong type of male connector (the connector on the HID harness that goes to the stock foglight connector), I gathered the materials I'd need to make the installation work. It should also be noted that I swapped out the H3 type bulb for a type 9006, as the plastic flange at the base of the bulb fit the foglight socket properly. In another thread I found while searching, I found some other members had experienced trouble twisting the bulb due to the filament preventing twisting and locking it in place. I used the method of applying silicone to seal the bulb into the socket once it was in place.

You will need:
An electrical multimeter capable of reading 12V DC
Rosin core solder
A soldering iron
Electrical tape
A sharp utility knife
Wire clippers
Clear silicone
Zip ties
Paint marker

Before removing the stock foglight connectors from the truck, I sanded a small spot on the frame to use as a ground, and used the multimeter to test both prongs of the stock connector to determine which one was the (+), or "hot" wire. (It is important to note that the fog lights must be switched to "on" on the dash in order for this test to work. So if your truck has automatic lights, which only come on when they sense that it's dark out, remember to switch your lights to the "on" position so that you get a proper reading on the multimeter.) I marked the side of the connector with the (+) wire with a paint marker, so that I wouldn't lose track once I clipped the end off. The connector on the ballast that was to be removed had appropriately coloured red and black wires. Pictured below is the ballast and harness placed next to each other in the way that the connection will be spliced:

Harness.jpg

This is a close up of the connection , where the stock foglight connector does not properly match up with the corresponding connector on the HID wiring harness.

Connection.jpg

The picture below shows which end of the stock connector to remove. I also removed a small amount of the protective plastic wire loom, in order to place another yellow mark on the positive lead, so I didn't lose track once I clipped the end off.

Clipped.jpg

I also clipped off the connector on the other half of the connection, and then soldered the (+) wire to the red lead, (-) wire to the black lead.

Soldered.jpg

Then I sealed everything up with electrical tape, as I did not have any heat shrink tubes, which would also have worked.

Taped.jpg

I took everything outside, and connected the stock explorer foglight connector back into the truck, leaving the bulbs hang underneath the front bumper so I could start the truck and ensure everything was wired in correctly before I placed them in the foglight socket.

Test.jpg

Having confirmed everything was wired properly, I installed the bulbs into the housing. I then hung that ballasts in a nearby location and secured them in place with zip ties, for now. I applied silicone around the bulb socket to ensure they would be watertight, and to prevent the bulbs from falling out, as mentioned before due to the construction of HID bulbs, it can be difficult or not possible to rotate them clockwise such that they lock perfectly in place. The solution of using a watertight adhesive is just one possibility. Of course it would have to be cut off with a razor for a future bulb change. It just seemed like the easiest and quickest solution for me. Besides, HID bulbs have a long life and it is only a minor annoyance for greater visibility! Below is a picture of the final result

Results.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice write up, glad you got them working. I also like the use use of solder!!! Keep up the good work!

Thanks for your help '96. You too Red, I guess I just got sick of buying different bulbs and parts trying to make this install work, and I had a solder and soldering gun, just had to borrow a friend's mulitmeter and I knew I could get it done.

i took mu blubs out of my fog lamps and put my in hella 500
ATTACH]

i have to say i like the 6000k better then my 8000k im using now

The more yellow end of the color temperature spectrum (3000k and 4300k) are supposed to be the best color for cutting through foggy conditions. I chose the 6000 as a happy medium; more of a close match to my headlights, but not so bluish white as to be ineffective in heavier fog or snow. I do most of my extreme condition driving in the winter.

I have 3000k for my fog lights, I am excited to see how they work in the snow, so far they did 100x better in heavy fog then the stock lights. So they where already worth the $40 I spent on them.

Already I can't get over the vast increase in field of view. Helps a lot with my halogen hi-beams too, which are a warmer color temperature, and although I can see further down the road with them, I prefer the brightness of the HID low beams. Overall, great mod. I may elect to go with a Westin light bar and set of two auxiliary lights in the not too distant future.

I have 2 Hella 500s on my brushguard, and 4 on my Safari rack, they are amazing, and project very far. For +/-$60 you can't beat them. Next will for sure be projector retrofits, but I am happy for now, so no rush on those.

Back