HID Light Installation - HELP!!!!

Mr_Wiggles

Reaction score
City, State
Dubai
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 2012
Hi all,

finally got my HID kit today...as in usual fashon I dropped everything and today was all about getting these boys home and installed!!

Wanted to make a quick step by step installation guide for anyone who wants it...but have come across a few problems:

IMG_7152_zpsfbbfb471.jpg

What is this item No. 5?? I have no idea...looking though one end it looks like a connection block sitting on a heat sink. So i suppose i dont connect this to anything....right??

The connection for No. 6 is completly wrong! Not happy about this... :mad: Already emailed the seller about this.
And where do I connect No. 7 to??

I believe that I have been sent the wrong wiring kit.... Not happy as I had to wait 3 weeks to get it from Canada to Dubai :fire
and now its back on Ebay to ask WTF :wtf:

Anyway - if anyone can shed some light on what the above connections are - or have faced this before....please advise

Thanks

Qas

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mr Wiggles

The 9005 kit (headlights) I purchased from Coolbulbs.com only came with one wire harness and not two, plus the bulb. I was able to install in about 20 mins.
Try it this way, do not use the harness with connection 5 & 6.
Plug your existing headlight connection onto 4 and then connect your bulb
to 1 & 2 (checking for polarity). Thats all I did and it worked fine. Then I wire tied the ballast in place.

BTW. I can not make out what item 7 is, is it the existing wiring connection to your headlight? if so mine plugged directly into 4.

My install was on a 13 Sport with HB3 bulbs as standard.

Brian

Hello Brian,

thank you very much for the reply, I will try tomorrow as its night here and the lighting in the car-park is not that good.

But question - if i take out the "extra harness" then where do I connect the item 3 plug?

Also for a close up on item 7 below is the pic

94c4c753-47ad-440d-b88d-331789794d5b_zpsce080525.jpg

Perhaps this is for the Hi-Beam? ??

Does anyone else know what Item # 7 is?

Hello Brian,

thank you very much for the reply, I will try tomorrow as its night here and the lighting in the car-park is not that good.

But question - if i take out the "extra harness" then where do I connect the item 3 plug?

Perhaps this is for the Hi-Beam? ??

Mr Wiggles

I think you are right #7 is for your high beam, I just noticed that your bulb has 3 incoming wires on it, on my 9005 bulb it only had 2 and high low beam is done by a flapper coving part of the bulb. Uncovered for Hi & covered for low.

Check your manual and see what the original bulb is and then check that your kit is for that bulb.
What kit did you order?

Brian

Hi all,

finally got my
hid kits today...as in usual fashon I dropped everything and today was all about getting these boys home and installed!!

Wanted to make a quick step by step installation guide for anyone who wants it...but have come across a few problems:

IMG_7152_zpsfbbfb471.jpg

What is this item No. 5?? I have no idea...looking though one end it looks like a connection block sitting on a heat sink. So i suppose i dont connect this to anything....right??

The connection for No. 6 is completly wrong! Not happy about this... :mad: Already emailed the seller about this.
And where do I connect No. 7 to??

I believe that I have been sent the wrong wiring kit.... Not happy as I had to wait 3 weeks to get it from Canada to Dubai :fire
and now its back on Ebay to ask WTF :wtf:

Anyway - if anyone can shed some light on what the above connections are - or have faced this before....please advise

Thanks

Qas

Hello friend I am not worried about installation of HID but need new kit for my car. Can you provide some details about your HID kit or other option which is better? Waiting for reply:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Mr Wiggles

I went and had a look at my installation, here is what I found.

Plug #7, I have the same look plug, its goes to the amber lights above the headlights.

Pic #1, my #7 plug
Pic #2, location of #7 plug
pic #3, My headlight plug, notice only 2 prong

Hope this helps Brian

Attachments

• plug 7 amber lights.jpg
    plug 7 amber lights.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 578
  • Location plug 7.jpg
    Location plug 7.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 620
  • Bulb plug.jpg
    Bulb plug.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 579

Thank you Brian!

So another question for your install.

The wire come from the new HID bulb, do you have 2 or 3 wires?
I seem to have 3!

d8bbac30-30b1-475e-bf2a-98b7c95b2d6e_zps71ca2fb0.jpg

Also, just for clarity i have got this bulb - is it the correct one??

IMG_7161_zpsf3211f49.jpg

Thank you Brian!

So another question for your install.

The wire come from the new HID bulb, do you have 2 or 3 wires?
I seem to have 3!

Also, just for clarity i have got this bulb - is it the correct one??

Mr Wiggles

Before I can help you any more, can you please answer the questions I asked you in an earlier post.

1) What headlight bulb # does your manual say
2) What kit did you order
Other questions
3) Did wire #6 plug directly into the old bulb and nothing else.
4) Where did wire #7 come from? on my X its the Amber flasher lights

Looking at the picture of your bulb it looks like a dual filament bulb, this is what I THINK answers to the 4 questions would help me better.

Your probably have a H4 factory bulb, if so try this.
Plug #6 & #6 together. Plug #4 7 #4 together. #1 & #1 together. #2 & #2 together. #3 & #3 together do not worry about #5, #7 back into the back into the Amber Flashers and give that a try.

Hope this works out Brian

Mr Wiggles

Before I can help you any more, can you please answer the questions I asked you in an earlier post.

1) What headlight bulb # does your manual say 9005
2) What kit did you order I ordered the Kit for 9005 Ford Explorer 2012
Other questions
3) Did wire #6 plug directly into the old bulb and nothing else. The plug from wire 6 (Car side) was connected into plastic mould from the headlight.
4) Where did wire #7 come from? on my X its the Amber flasher lights. This was also connected into the plastic mold of the headlight.

Looking at the picture of your bulb it looks like a dual filament bulb, this is what I THINK answers to the 4 questions would help me better.

Your probably have a H4 factory bulb, if so try this.
Plug #6 & #6 together. Plug #4 7 #4 together. #1 & #1 together. #2 & #2 together. #3 & #3 together do not worry about #5, #7 back into the back into the Amber Flashers and give that a try.

Hope this works out Brian

I tried your suggestion, and it was all looking good to work - until i tried to put the bulb into the socket of the head light. It would not lock into place.

The below bulb is what came out of my car....
26995-lg.jpg

I suspect that the supplier sent me the wrong kit! :mad:

I suspect that the supplier sent me the wrong kit! :mad:

Mr Wiggles

4) Where did wire #7 come from? on my X its the Amber flasher lights. This was also connected into the plastic mold of the headlight.

That is where mine plugs in, but if you disconnect it with the lights on you will find that the Amber side light will not work.

The picture of the bulb, looks like a 9005 (HB3) bulb. Its a single filament bulb.

26995-lg.jpg

How many pins are on the connection of the bulb?

The picture you posted looks like a 9006 (HB4) bulb, its a dual filament bulb.
IMG_7161_zpsf3211f49.jpg

Will plug #6 (car) plug into plug #4 wiring harness, if so you have the wrong kit what a bummer.

Have you heard back from the seller yet, whats he say?

If plug #6 plugs into plug #4 and you can return your kit. Order the 9005 kit from coolbulbs.com. Thats what I have and it WORKS.

Brian

Hello All,

Sorry its been a while.... So as a gap filler, supplier confirmed that what he sent was the wrong bulbs and wiring loom (ballast was ok). He sent out the bulbs via snail-mail and I finally got the bulbs yesterday......installed them today :D:D I couldn't wait.

Installation was quick... plug and play but the bulbs were very fidgety to secure in the plastic mold fixing.

6000K are Freaking bright!! perhaps should have gone with 4000K... ohh well;)

20130720_220831_zpsaf603ba2.jpg

20130720_220906_zps6f8569b1.jpg

BUT i have a few questions about the light display/adjustment....if there is anyone that can help pass on their wisdom.

• The left bulb seems to be a bit warmer in colour then the right... is this normal?
  • The right seems to have a "Sun-Ray" effect... is this normal, can it be fixed?
  • Can the headlights be adjusted? as it seems that the lights are aimed a bit higher then normal

20130720_220747_zps00d6a9ce.jpg

20130720_220714_zpsb0a88eca.jpg

20130720_220759_zps94801aa0.jpg

20130720_220645_zps032f7d46.jpg

20130720_220728_zps06b0f250.jpg

20130720_220656_zps0b7d27c4.jpg

Hello All,

Sorry its been a while.... So as a gap filler, supplier confirmed that what he sent was the wrong bulbs and wiring loom (ballast was ok). He sent out the bulbs via snail-mail and I finally got the bulbs yesterday......installed them today :D:D I couldn't wait.

Installation was quick... plug and play but the bulbs were very fidgety to secure in the plastic mold fixing.

6000K are Freaking bright!! perhaps should have gone with 4000K... ohh well;)
This is a common misunderstanding. Actually, the lower the 'K' number, the brighter the bulb. Conversely, the higher the 'K' number the less light (lumens), it produces and takes on a bluer colour. 6000K seems to be a pretty good balance between light and colour.

Both right and left should be the same brightness.
Headlights can only be adjusted vertically, not horizontally.
The 'sun ray' effect is likely produced by the headlamp reflector, not the bulb. I don't know for sure but I think the factory HID headlamps may have a different reflector.
They have the same part number, 13008, but each HID one is $220 more for each side and this is not counting the bulb, ballast etc.

Peter

The reason your bulbs are different color is poor quality control and/or you were sent the wrong color temperature(k). 4300k is stock, 5000k is white, 6000k is white with a hint of blue.

As Peter said, the higher the k, the less overall light output.

That being said, the oem HID's use D3S bulbs, which put out about 10% less light than a D2S bulb, all in the name of better for the environment.

Unfortunately at this time, there is no aftermarket for D3S, so we are stuck with what we have now, or convert to a D2S system. Somewhere on this forum is a link to someone that did that.

The reason your bulbs are different color is poor quality control and/or you were sent the wrong color temperature(k). 4300k is stock, 5000k is white, 6000k is white with a hint of blue.

As Peter said, the higher the k, the less overall light output.

That being said, the oem HID's use D3S bulbs, which put out about 10% less light than a D2S bulb, all in the name of better for the environment.

Unfortunately at this time, there is no aftermarket for D3S, so we are stuck with what we have now, or convert to a D2S system. Somewhere on this forum is a link to someone that did that.

Thanks for the information guys :thumbsup:

Back