HID options | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HID options

I am going to buy some new headlight housings soon and I want to add HID's.
I found some HID bulbs on ebay that claim they clip right in to the housing with no kit or harness upgrade.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...ame=STRK:MEWAX:IT&viewitem=&item=360097258238

I don't think I'm going the projector route but is there a way to get HID's without a kit. I've seen long write ups for HID's (non projector) that looked complicated. Will this ebay item clip right in?

Also,
I purchased a safari bar that's on its way. Any suggestions for fog/aux lights to match clear headlight housings with HID's?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those are HID simulator bulbs.

Real HIDs require a ballast because they function differently from regular halogen lights. The cheapest I've seen HIDs is through the kid from vvme.com ... it's only 43$ or somesuch, so it's not a massive expense, and they're REAL HIDs.

As far as aux. lights, look at what PIAA offers -- if you go with 4300k HIDs, there are some PIAA lamps that have bulbs in that same color range.

HTH.

cjryan

when u get those lights r going to take pics of them installed

This may sound like a dumb question, but for the HID kits, I'm assuming single beam and dual beam is low beam/ high beam?

I've been researching the PIAA's and I really like them. They're a little more than I wanted to spend though. Are there any alternatives for a driving/fog light combination similar to PIAA's 510's or 520's?

Sams,
Yes I will provide pics if all goes well and I install as planned.

ok cant wait to see how it looks

This may sound like a dumb question, but for the HID kits, I'm assuming single beam and dual beam is low beam/ high beam?

Correct, dual beam is for the cars that share a low & highbeam. Bi-xenon HIDs is what they're called specifically. They have a tiny bulb next to the HID that turns on when you activate your high beam. I put them in for a friend with a GLI, and they didn't do anything as per lighting goes. The only thing they did was prevent a check engine light, and able to pass inspection.

Correct, dual beam is for the cars that share a low & highbeam. Bi-xenon HIDs is what they're called specifically. They have a tiny bulb next to the HID that turns on when you activate your high beam. I put them in for a friend with a GLI, and they didn't do anything as per lighting goes. The only thing they did was prevent a check engine light, and able to pass inspection.

Uafan,
So the only way to retain my high beams would be to install the bi-xenon's? I'm assuming my explorer shares a low/high beam because there is only one bulb for the headlight. I just passed smog, so no worries for a year and a half, but why would a single beam HID trip my check engine light? Wouldn't my X not pass because of visual inspection if anything?

Does anyone else have an opinion as far as the single beam vs. the bi-xenon HID's?

Jettas are German cars and are known to have electrical problems, not sure if Explorers would throw a check engine light.

Personally I wouldn't get bi-xenons, the light output with HIDs is far more sufficient than regular halogen bulbs and I rarely use my highbeams.

As far as visual inspection goes for you: HID kits are generally plug and play. They can be easily removed for inspection and replaced with stock halogen bulbs for inspection.

Jettas are German cars and are known to have electrical problems, not sure if Explorers would throw a check engine light.

Personally I wouldn't get bi-xenons, the light output with HIDs is far more sufficient than regular halogen bulbs and I rarely use my highbeams.

As far as visual inspection goes for you: HID kits are generally plug and play. They can be easily removed for inspection and replaced with stock halogen bulbs for inspection.

I don't believe there is any wiring connecting my headlights to the check engine light. I also don't think my smog shop would pay attention to my headlights. I would go in during daytime and the lights wouldn't be on. Maybe they would see the ballasts or something?

Does anyone know if HID's are illegal in California? I believe anything that was not offered as original equipment is illegal? I don't think that cops would hassle me for brighter headlights... hopefully.

Any more opinions for Aux lights that have dual driving/fog options?

Does anyone know if HID's are illegal in California? I believe anything that was not offered as original equipment is illegal? I don't think that cops would hassle me for brighter headlights... hopefully.

You'd have to check with the CA authorities. On a federal level, IIRC, DOT reversed their position on HIDs so that they are legal in a vehicle that originally came with halogens as long as the kit you use meets the appropriate DOT specs. However, I know that CA (much like NY) has pretty strict inspection requirements, so you'd have to find out.

Have you looked at PIAA's site? They offer a few things that might interest you to have a dual-function lamp:

http://piaa.com/Lamps/Lamp-pages/p-3000.html
http://piaa.com/Lamps/Lamp-pages/525.html
http://piaa.com/Lamps/Lamp-pages/940T.html

HTH.

Does anyone else have an opinion as far as the single beam vs. the bi-xenon HID's?

I have/had 9007 Single beam, and they're nice, but it's quite annoying not having high beams, when i'm alone on the road it's nice to have the beam hit out far onto the road. my suggestion is go with the bixenon, that way if your state inspection requires high's then you're golden without having to pop other lights out and put stockers back in.

If you were to get "dual stage" fog lights.. you'd have to get a second switch and that would make things more complicated.. that is if your thinking of making your fogs like your high beams.

just my opinion.

FYI my sig has my ex with the HIDs on during the day time, i'll do an in car at night when i go home this weekend

Justin

I personally would not want to be without high beams.
Upgrading the headlights to the clears w/Sylvania Silverstars and the fogs to KC 26 series fog lights would seem to be a very good lighting solution and you still have high beams.

I would keep away from them, I got a set a while back, and they blew my wiring and MFS.

I ended up going to the bi-xenon with ballast, no problems, much brighter too... Mi bi-xenon use magnets to move the housing in/out for hi/lo beams

bi-xenon http://www.vvme.com/product/detail-20022.html $78.99

single beam http://www.vvme.com/product/detail-20023.html $40.99

great warranty too, no questions asked, they didn't even confirm if I actually owned the product

I would keep away from them, I got a set a while back, and they blew my wiring and MFS.

Are you referring to the KC's or the silvana's?

If you were to get "dual stage" fog lights.. you'd have to get a second switch and that would make things more complicated.. that is if your thinking of making your fogs like your high beams.

I've found some PIAA lights that have one switch I believe. They have two bulbs within one housing and I doubt they didn't engineer one switch for both bulbs. Are you sure I'd need two switches? Thanks for the input.

I ended up going to the bi-xenon with ballast, no problems, much brighter too... Mi bi-xenon use magnets to move the housing in/out for hi/lo beams

Do these HID headlights run hotter than the OEM stuff? I'm about to take the plunge and upgrade, and this potential issue is bugging me!

HIDs actually run cooler than stock halogn bulbs.

Originally Posted by m4dc0w

hey m4dc0w i was just wondering about the bi-xenon bulbs you have from vvme, did you get the 9007-3's the teliscoping type and if so do they work light they are supposed to. i only say this because i have been looking at this site for a while trying to figure them out

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Aldive ran with the single beam HID's for a while then switched back to halogens with the brite box because he wanted more light than the low HID beam. I would get the BI'Xenon so you can see far on those lonely dark nights. If you are going to switch do it right, and not wish you bought the Bi-Xenon after you already installed the single beam lights and figure out that you want high beams.

Back