HID options | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HID options

I am going to buy some new headlight housings soon and I want to add HID's.
I found some HID bulbs on ebay that claim they clip right in to the housing with no kit or harness upgrade.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...ame=STRK:MEWAX:IT&viewitem=&item=360097258238

I don't think I'm going the projector route but is there a way to get HID's without a kit. I've seen long write ups for HID's (non projector) that looked complicated. Will this ebay item clip right in?

Also,
I purchased a safari bar that's on its way. Any suggestions for fog/aux lights to match clear headlight housings with HID's?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

that's what happened to me, i bought single beams and then it just got to the point where you get used to the amount of light and the high beams would be useful on the longer roads.. get the bixenon's you won't be disappointed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

show_image.pl

Since I just went through the HID conversion on my '98 X, I'll contribute my experience with the kit I got from retro-solutions on eBay:

Ever since I bought my X, I've been searching for a better lighting solution. I looked at the early HID kits and they were $1500 at the time. Then they came down to $500. But were still not suitable. Then $300. Still nothing provided a proper hi-lo beam option. Then there were the Chinese knockoffs for $60 that were purported to last a few months and fail.

Finally, someone suggested retro-solutions and I found a 55-watt HID kit and bought it for $189. It was the single BEST investment I made in my truck. I am happy to say that I can now see the road at night--even when it's raining--and the hi-lo beam patterns are significantly divergent to be useful. I'm using the diamond cut reflectors, which, though an improvement over the stock reflectors, are far from optically great and still terribly inefficient, but with the brute force of a pair of 55W HIDs, they put out adequate illumination and I no longer suffer eye strain while driving. I can only imagine what these bulbs would do if they had 9" round reflectors of high optical quality behind them.

I installed the kit in August and it's been working great ever since. I no longer avoid night driving--in fact, I enjoy it now.

This is the exact kit I bought and use:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/55w-...ryZ36476QQihZ007QQitemZ170263451356QQtcZphoto

Very pleased with them.

vvme kit

Has anyone had any negative experience with vvme.com kit?

hey m4dc0w i was just wondering about the bi-xenon bulbs you have from vvme, did you get the 9007-3's the teliscoping type and if so do they work light they are supposed to. i only say this because i have been looking at this site for a while trying to figure them out

Yeah, for HI-beams they actually shorten on the housing, all magnetically done

sofar my kit is in 6 months with no real problems, replaced a ballast, but I think I shorted it out more with my experimenting.

they replaced it for me no questions, just paid shipping.

Didn't even ask proof of purchase, I could have bought them elsewhere and they didn't care. Either GREAT customer service, or they are so cheap to them they don't care to send out a few replacements for free.

vvme Kit

I just installed a vvme kit in my '03 and found it to be easy...most difficult part was finding an appropriate place to mount the ballasts. Instructions for it suck, but it's not difficult to decipher on your own. Don't use the jumper wire that connects the high beam cables; it's not long enough on the bulb end - just open the wire shroud and bring the original wire to the bulb.

What's the deal with removing the internal reflector? Some mentioned doing it, others say nothing...any difference in lighting? I'm impressed by the change already.

I put a 6000k VVME kit on my girlfriends RSX and one ballast blew after a couple weeks. I was able to get another one if I paid for shipping it back but I chose the option not to ship it and pay $25 for a new one no questions asked. This kit had spade connectors you have to shove into the stock headlight sockets, or cut off the ends and solder/splice them in like I did.:thumbdwn:

I put a single beam 6000k kit on my 00 Mountaineer which has been great. It connects to the headlight socket like a regular headlight bulb would:thumbsup:. Ive had no problems with the kit for 2 months other than trying to aim my headlights because I cant get a socket to fit, rad support is in the way. The only thing I miss is being able to "flash" drivers if they have highbeams on or if I want to let someone into traffic, if my lights are on I use my highbeam flicker and my fogs turn off/on to let them out or in the day I use my hand to wave them out, or flip them off:D

I want to put a kit in my fogs but dont know how it will react with the ribbed bars in the lens. I dont want to blind anyone.

Back