HID or regular 9007 bulbs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HID or regular 9007 bulbs

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Halogen bulbs(PIAA, Slyvania ect.) are rated at about 1,000 lumens.(brightness)
HID 4300K bulbs are rated at about 3,400 lumens.
When you get much higher K rating than the PIAA StarWhite(3800K) or the Sylvania SilverStars (rated at 4000K, although I cant tell the difference) they have even less lumens. So not as much light as a regular headlight bulb.
HIDs are BRIGHT.
A direct answer to you is it is the difference between being seen and being able to see.

Price :)

My $0.02:
Personally, I have had no trouble driving at night with regular non-HID bulbs on my Explorer, E-350 van, and a Honda Civic. And I actually find it harder to drive my friend's Denali with projector HIDs because the light is too "white" so its a bit harder to differentiate objects against the background. I'm guessing those "blue" headlights are probably the most difficult to drive with because the blue tint (a "cool hue) probably makes it even harder to pick out objects against the black background.

Halogen bulbs(PIAA, Slyvania ect.) are rated at about 1,000 lumens.(brightness)
HID 4300K bulbs are rated at about 3,400 lumens.
When you get much higher K rating than the PIAA StarWhite(3800K) or the Sylvania SilverStars (rated at 4000K, although I cant tell the difference) they have even less lumens. So not as much light as a regular headlight bulb.
HIDs are BRIGHT.
A direct answer to you is it is the difference between being seen and being able to see.

so 4100k has more to do with the color of the light and not the brightness of the light?

Price :)

My $0.02:
Personally, I have had no trouble driving at night with regular non-HID bulbs on my Explorer, E-350 van, and a Honda Civic. And I actually find it harder to drive my friend's Denali with projector HIDs because the light is too "white" so its a bit harder to differentiate objects against the background. I'm guessing those "blue" headlights are probably the most difficult to drive with because the blue tint (a "cool hue) probably makes it even harder to pick out objects against the black background.

so in your opinion you can see as good with a quality halogen bulb as you can with HID's? btw, you explorer build is awesome. with the direction the posting has gone you should name it "RABBID X". just my $0.02

the Kelvin value is the color of the light.
lower Kelvin is more yellow, in the middle is around 4100k (I could be wrong on this number) which is very white. Above that gets into blue, then purple.

the Kelvin value and lumens output are different.

Kelvin = color
lumens = actual light output

Back