HID Projector Retrofit

domct203

Pilots The Beast
Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLS
Over this past long weekend I converted my stock headlights to HID projectors with halo lights and ‘demon eye’ LEDs.

Here is the headlight housing, retrofit projector & shroud.

I started by removing the headlights from the truck & removing the bulbs and metal clips that secure the lens. Then I heated the headlight housing in a 220F oven for 8 minutes. This loosened the seal and made it possible to remove the clear lens.

Once I had the headlight housing open and I removed the bulb cover, and all the old dried up sealant, I test fit the projectors and realized that I had the make a bit of clearance on the old bulb cover mount. Using a dremel with a small sanding drum I easily sanded down the needed clearance. I passed the sanding drum in from the back side.

Once I was satisfied with the fit of the projector I began assembling the demon eye and halo LED. To mount the blue demon eye, I removed the led from the included plastic mount, then drilled a small hole in the plastic lens housing and used epoxy and a screw to attach the LED.

This did require me to make a bit of clearance on the inside of the shroud, sorry but no pics of that.

Next I mounted the halo lights to the front of the shroud using .021” SS safety wire. If you look closely in this pic of the inside of the shroud you can see the safety wire tucked up under the halos. You can also see that I drilled a hole through the shroud for the halo wires. [edit] In this pic you can see the clearance I made for where I mounted the blue demon eye LED, it's opposite where the halo wires come through the shroud [/edit] I oriented the wire on the bottom of the shroud, and painted the wires silver. You can hardly see it, and do not notice in the finished product unless I point it out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is the projector assembly, ready to be mounted. I used Epoxy to attach the shrouds.

Now it’s time to paint the housing. I used a green scotchbrite to completely de-gloss the chrome. I then washed the housing with soap and water and blew them off with compressed air and let them dry thoroughly. I started with two coats of adhesion promoter, followed by three coats of Rustoleum satin black. I let them dry overnight.

I then installed the projectors into the housing. I drilled a 3/16 hole through the old bulb cover mounting screw hole, and passed the high beam coil, halo and demon eye wires through that hole using silicone to seal the hole well.

Seeing that the original sealant was so dried out I cleaned it all out and used new butyl rubber for a good seal. Once the lens was reinstalled I again heated the housing in the oven (same temp and time) to soften the seal and clamped the lens on tight while I reinstalled the original clips.

I think they look great, especially at twilight.

I think the blacked out lights look so much better.

I also installed an illuminated Ford badge in my billet grill.

I’m really happy with how they came out, it was not hard at all, just time consuming. I have them wired to the parking lights, and will be using the old high beams as daytime running lights, I’ll use 6000K LED bulbs for that.

Dom

I forgot to mention the projector headlights, awesome low beam pattern, here’s the view from the drivers seat, sitting in my driveway getting ready for my first ‘test drive’.

I’ve since tweaked them up little by little, I have the cutoff so it’s just at the bottom of most car’s rear window when I’m a car length away.

I haven’t been flashed yet, and I can see plenty far down the road.

Dom

I finished the DRL conversion yesterday, using one of those controllers that hook directly to the battery.

Next project is a 3” body lift, then wheel bearing, front upper ball joints & struts with 2” strut spacers.

Dom

Added some Blacked Out Corner Lights to match the headlights. I also hooked up the halos to the Daytime Running Light circuit.

Looks good. Wish I could find the patients to do that with my 2nd gen headlamps.

I personally can't stand the look of these conversions, not to mention that green ring is illegal. By painting the reflector surface black, the high beams are now useless for producing usable light. If you like them, that's all that matters.

I personally can't stand the look of these conversions, not to mention that green ring is illegal. By painting the reflector surface black, the high beams are now useless for producing usable light. If you like them, that's all that matters.
The projectors are both low and high beam, the original's are no longer needed, and it was explained in the thread that I would convert them to DRL using 6000K LED bulbs. The projector high beams are 100% more effective than the OEM's anyway. I originally intended to leave the high beam reflector as is to increase the DRL visibility, but when I removed the masking tape, just about all the chrome plating peeled off, leaving mostly black plastic behind. I just hit them over with the black paint to make it match.

The improvement to the overall light pattern is ridiculous, and worth the conversion, especially for a lifted truck (which can also be illegal, but many of us do that as well).

To each his own on the halo lights. I dislike the look of 20" rims & low profile tires on 4X4's, but I don't hate on those who choose to do so, I will just pass over those threads.

Well put Dom, I think they look great and that's why I looked over the post.
I totally agree with the "to each their own" idea. I put HID's on my old dodge years ago and loved the look and light quality.
I also like the looks of your ex with the body lift now all you need are big illegal tires on it and it will be complete...
Cheers Randy...

Well put Dom, I think they look great and that's why I looked over the post.
I totally agree with the "to each their own" idea. I put HID's on my old dodge years ago and loved the look and light quality.
I also like the looks of your ex with the body lift now all you need are big illegal tires on it and it will be complete...
Cheers Randy...
Thanks Randy. I have a set of 265-75-16 Centennial Dirt Commanders & 16x8 alloy wheels on deck, but I have four struts (rears OEM have broken springs), one wheel bearing and one more ball joint to go before I throw on all that extra wheel weight. I also have a 2” spacer lift to put in while I’m changing the struts.

Dom

The projectors are both low and high beam, the original's are no longer needed, and it was explained in the thread that I would convert them to DRL using 6000K LED bulbs. The projector high beams are 100% more effective than the OEM's anyway. I originally intended to leave the high beam reflector as is to increase the DRL visibility, but when I removed the masking tape, just about all the chrome plating peeled off, leaving mostly black plastic behind. I just hit them over with the black paint to make it match.

The improvement to the overall light pattern is ridiculous, and worth the conversion, especially for a lifted truck (which can also be illegal, but many of us do that as well).

To each his own on the halo lights. I dislike the look of 20" rims & low profile tires on 4X4's, but I don't hate on those who choose to do so, I will just pass over those threads.

Still illegal no matter how you look at it.

Nice write up man! I picked up another set of OEM lights at the junkyard. Definitely going to do this HID retrofit asap. I plan to add some led rings in the high and low beam spots like in this pic as well. Again great write up

Screenshot_20180619-144936_Instagram.jpg

Nice write up man! I picked up another set of OEM lights at the junkyard. Definitely going to do this HID retrofit asap. I plan to add some led rings in the high and low beam spots like in this pic as well. Again great write up

View attachment 160213
Thanks!

Looking forward to your pics!

Back