• Register Today It's free!

HID Questions

Matt228

Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Green Gem Limited
As I wait for my 2013 Limited to be delivered, I've been looking at possible upgrades and HIDs are at the top of my list.

I know everyone has their own opinions on colors and whatnot, but what I'm curious about is the actual light display. I have HIDs in my Silverado and it's surprisingly not that scattered, but I've never had them in a projector housing before. My assumption is it should be better, correct?

Any brands significantly better than most? Ones to stay away from? (I know, another one everyone has an opinion on.)

Do you use the stock 9005 bulb or something different?

Any info would be appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, since no one else is responding, prob because of the holiday, Ill tell you what Ive experienced.

I picked two sets on Kensun HID kits on Amazon for about $50 each. 8000k for headlights and 3000k for fogs. Headlights are a bluish white, but not too blue in my opinion. Fogs are a real nice yellow. Headlights are 9005 and fogs are h11.

I have an issue with all 4 lighting at the same time with the lights set to auto. Since they all ignite at the same time. Each needing about 27,000v to ignite properly. The stock light system doesn't have the power to handle all 4. So there is a relay harness I am going to pick up for the fogs that taps the battery for power and givs the fogs what they need.

Other than that I am very happy with the kit so far (Although its only been 2 days). Easy to install and plug 'n' play.

I think the light output is outright amazing compared to the stock lights. I know some say to swap the projector housing as well, but I don't think this is needed at all. I think this is the best light output of any car I have owned... My other car is an e90 M3 and wife coming from an X5.

There are other brands like Morimoto Kits from TRS, which I guarantee is a better product and wont have any problems out of the box. They include the Relay harness I mentioned earlier. But their kit is $150 each and I just wasent spending that at this point.

Hope this helps.
D

The headlights look way more blueish green that in real life.
c601d498-016c-427f-9987-9e73607afb33_zps12bc4c0f.jpg

Just noticed the Morimoto's dont even come in the 8000k and 3000k that I was after.

Cool, thanks for the info...you must know how to use Google ;)

I have 6000k in my Silverado currently but had 8000k for a while. I'd probably go with 6000k for the Explorer.

How is the light field for the fogs? I'd rather not be blinding people with scattered light.

Cool, thanks for the info...you must know how to use Google ;)

I have 6000k in my Silverado currently but had 8000k for a while. I'd probably go with 6000k for the Explorer.

How is the light field for the fogs? I'd rather not be blinding people with scattered light.

Hey guys - here's a shot of the 35W Kensun 6000K's and the stock side-by-side. The light field is slightly wider (or perhaps just brighter so you notice the left-right a bit more), but I did not make any adjustments up/down to the field, and have not been flashed once since install (Definitive Cars and I appear to be on the same upgrade program - mine were also installed two days ago). They do make a HUGE difference and I would say are somewhere between 2-3 times as bright as the stock.

2012-12-29130058_zps73bf49b0.jpg

Cool, good to know!

Are the bulbs easy to get to? Where's everyone mounting the ballasts?

Headlight bulbs are pretty easy, and the fogs are real easy after removing three bolts from the underpanel.

Ill take some pics of where I mounted my upper balasts later today. The lower ones I used the kensun mounting bracket and mounted them using one of the screws that secures the whole fog housing.

D

Hey guys - here's a shot of the 35W Kensun 6000K's and the stock side-by-side. The light field is slightly wider (or perhaps just brighter so you notice the left-right a bit more), but I did not make any adjustments up/down to the field, and have not been flashed once since install (Definitive Cars and I appear to be on the same upgrade program - mine were also installed two days ago). They do make a HUGE difference and I would say are somewhere between 2-3 times as bright as the stock.

2012-12-29130058_zps73bf49b0.jpg

Yea funny were on the same schedule. did you order your shark fin yet? I just ordered min e afew days ago. Maybe well install those the same weekend too. haha!

Why did you have your bumper off?

D

Yea funny were on the same schedule. did you order your shark fin yet? I just ordered min e afew days ago. Maybe well install those the same weekend too. haha!

Why did you have your bumper off?

D

Yeah - I ordered my Shark Fin earlier this month, and installed it last week.

I actually had the HID's installed for me by a local guy I trust. He removed the bumper as he said it's much easier to do the HID install and hide the wires and ballasts. He actually mounted the ballasts under the headlight housings. This was one of the pics I took while he was doing the install.

Interesting. Makes them very hard to replace if you need to. Was that so the dealership doesn't see them? If you have an electrical issue at all you won't be able to just pull them out before you take it in...

Interesting. Makes them very hard to replace if you need to. Was that so the dealership doesn't see them? If you have an electrical issue at all you won't be able to just pull them out before you take it in...

Yeah - good point and agree it will be more difficult to replace/swap out if needed - I guess I'm hoping for no need to repair/replace.

If it's anything like my Silverado, it's very easy to do.

You just take the stock bulbs out and put the HID bulbs in. You then mount the ballasts somewhere convenient/out of the way and plug them into the HID bulbs.

I popped my hood today and took a glance...do you have to remove the headlight housing to get to the bulbs? I didn't see where you could pull them out from behind the housing like most other vehicles.

Again, I just glanced so maybe I missed something.

do you have to remove the headlight housing to get to the bulbs?

No, you simply pull the rubber boot on the back of the housing, twist and remove the old bulb, disconnect the wire......

IMG_3206.jpg

Here you can see the big rubber boot. My HID's wiring penetrate the rubber boot, yet keep it completely sealed and dirt/dust free.

There is a different thread that has more details about this.... Do a search for DDM Tuning......

Makes sense, I saw that rubber boot and was wondering if it was removable.

Thanks!

Well, just ordered a 6000K Kensun kit for my headlights.

Still deciding what to do with my fogs. Kind of leaning towards staying with halogens for the simple fact I don't think I need as much light as HIDs give. So I'll probably find some halogens that match or I'm even considering yellow down there.

Anyone who have used/use yellow fogs want to give me the pros/cons?

And will 55w be too hot down there?

No, you simply pull the rubber boot on the back of the housing, twist and remove the old bulb, disconnect the wire......

IMG_3206.jpg

Here you can see the big rubber boot. My HID's wiring penetrate the rubber boot, yet keep it completely sealed and dirt/dust free.

There is a different thread that has more details about this.... Do a search for DDM Tuning......

Did you cut a hole in the rubber boot to fit the HID lights through?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you cut a hole in the rubber boot to fit the HID lights through?

Yes, the rubber boot on the HID's fit perfectly into the hole I cut in the boot.

Here is a view from the other side. I have a set of spare uncut boots, to replace back on to return it to stock without having holes in the boot.

IMG_3368.jpg

Back