HID type and cost | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HID type and cost

thorongil

Reaction score
I am contemplating a 2011 Explorer and examining the models and options.

Looking at the owners manual, I noticed that it lists replacement procedures for most light bulbs, except for HID headlights where it directs to 'contact the dealer for replacement'. I certainly would not want a car that I need to take to a dealer to change a light bulb!

I am curious (considering that halogen bulbs usually cost $10-20, last at least few years, and are usually easy to replace)

1. How difficult it is to replace the HID bulb / other required parts?

2. What is the type and cost of a replacement HID bulb / other required parts (ballast?)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am contemplating a 2011 Explorer and examining the models and options.

Looking at the owners manual, I noticed that it lists replacement procedures for most light bulbs, except for HID headlights where it directs to 'contact the dealer for replacement'. I certainly would not want a car that I need to take to a dealer to change a light bulb!

I am curious:

1. How difficult it is to replace the HID bulb / other required parts?

2. What is the cost of a replacement HID bulb / other required parts (ballast?)

It will be much cheaper to go aftermarket HID bulbs if you need to replace one then buy from the dealer. Yes you can replace it yourself, I don't care what a dealer tells you.

When my Audi HID's started to not be as bright (bulbs were 8 years old), I ordered a new pair from England (they are genuine Phillips HID bulbs, not the cheap China knockoffs). There are only a couple companies out there that sell genuine Phillips HID's. It cost me $290 shipped for the pair, took about 10 days to get to me.

You would want to remove your battery cable when changing out an HID bulb.. they are much higher powered during the ignition of the bulb, but lower wattage when they are actually lit up. Better to be safe then sorry.

I've had a 2004 Lincoln Aviator since new with 125,000 miles on it and HID Lights that light up the world. I have also put HID lights on all of my motorcycles. I've never had one burn out. Ever. I wouldn't trade them for anything after using them.

I've had a 2004 Lincoln Aviator since new with 125,000 miles on it and HID Lights that light up the world. I have also put HID lights on all of my motorcycles. I've never had one burn out. Ever. I wouldn't trade them for anything after using them.

Only Toyota's burn out :D But seriously I've seen soooo many Toyota Prius' with burnt out HID lights. It makes no sense to me why.. I think that's the only vehicle I've ever seen with a burnt HID.. probably seen a dozen of them in the past year alone.

Are these as bright as the Audi's? I'm looking for white light, but not sure if anyone has confirmed that the Ex. HID's do that.

I added HID lights from DDMTuning.com for $45.00 to all my vehicles. I've used these HID kits for several years without a failure. How can you go wrong when you can buy a primary and secondary backup kit for less than a hundred bucks? I suggest the 35W vs the 55W since the 55W kit uses the same bulb and just forces more wattage through them rather than using a 55W bulb.

I am looking at HID kits on eBay and confused.

I know that the Ex has a 9005 / HB3 type bulb (single bulb for high/low beam) and the way it's supposed to work is the optics inside the projector shift as you switch between hi/lo. So the bulb remains lit the same way no matter what.

Does anyone know if it's OK to just install a basic 9005 kit from eBay? They are listed at 35w... which seems pretty standard for all HID's.

I am looking at HID kits on eBay and confused.

I know that the Ex has a 9005 / HB3 type bulb (single bulb for high/low beam) and the way it's supposed to work is the optics inside the projector shift as you switch between hi/lo. So the bulb remains lit the same way no matter what.

Does anyone know if it's OK to just install a basic 9005 kit from eBay? They are listed at 35w... which seems pretty standard for all HID's.

Yes, just a standard 9005 HID kit is all you need. I ordered mine from kryptonbulbs.com. The balasts are nice and slim, easily mounted and they were only $50 shipped. I got the 6000k bulbs, and I love them.

Thanks for the tip, I just placed an order with Kryptonbulbs.com for a pair of 35W, 5000k HB3 units.
Looking forward to it.

So this is what happened since. The shipment from Kryptonbulbs came in really quick, last Friday. Installed the whole thing only to discover one of the bulbs wasn't working.
Emailed kryptonbulbs (plus opened a support ticket on their website) on Saturday to ask what to do. Today is Wednesday and they have not responded yet, not even acknowledged that they got my message. Zero reaction and this makes me worried.

Zero reaction and this makes me worried.

Watching this one.

Are the bulbs the only difference between the standard lights and the HID units on the Explorer from the factory?

Any word yet?

Watching this one.

Are the bulbs the only difference between the standard lights and the HID units on the Explorer from the factory?

Any word yet?

I don't think they are the same assembly. I still did not hear anything back from Kryptonbulbs, considering returning the unit and placing a dispute with Paypal.

Another issue I'm having is that the HID bulbs have a metal strip along the exterior of the glass. This casts a small shadow in one direction but the projector enlarges it badly and the end result is an X mark on the light spread.

As much as I love the color temperature (5000K is the perfect OEM look - not that cheesy blue you see on crappy cars), I was so disappointed by not having my issue solved that I reverted the whole thing back to regular bulbs. Took out the ballasts, wiring, everything.
Got a pair of Sylvania Ultra bulbs for $40. They're OK but don't compare to the xenon look. (read: don't waste your money on ultra's)
You guys best stick to your OEM bulbs until there is a better solution.

That is disappointing. I hope you get this worked out.

Thanks for the information!

I don't think they are the same assembly. I still did not hear anything back from Kryptonbulbs, considering returning the unit and placing a dispute with Paypal.

Another issue I'm having is that the HID bulbs have a metal strip along the exterior of the glass. This casts a small shadow in one direction but the projector enlarges it badly and the end result is an X mark on the light spread.

As much as I love the color temperature (5000K is the perfect OEM look - not that cheesy blue you see on crappy cars), I was so disappointed by not having my issue solved that I reverted the whole thing back to regular bulbs. Took out the ballasts, wiring, everything.
Got a pair of Sylvania Ultra bulbs for $40. They're OK but don't compare to the xenon look. (read: don't waste your money on ultra's)
You guys best stick to your OEM bulbs until there is a better solution.

I guess you get what you pay for. Looking around, $50 seemed cheap but I just starting to research HID so I don't really know. I seen somewhere here a guy paid 250.00 just for bulbs. So far I've gotten one price of 250.00 installed except my guy says kits for Ex not availble yet. As I said just started looking.

Don't waste your money on HID conversion kits. Essentially they are retrofitting cheap Chinese HID bulbs and ballasts into a headlight assembly designed for Halogens, not HIDs.

True HID capabilities like you find from the factory as an option on some cars easily runs into $1K - $2K range. There is a cost for the right parts.

See this article:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

Life spans for HID bulbs in the wrong assembly are fairly low. At the least, you are going to be replacing bulbs frequently. At the worst, you are blinding other drivers with lenses and alignments that are improper. They might look cool and bright, but at what cost?

Do a search on some of the VW sites (VWVortex and TDIClub). You'll see lots of threads on this topic.

Get a good set of Halogens and leave it at that.

Thanks for the info

Just got a reply from Kryptonbulbs, they apologized and are sending a replacement. That's nice.
Not sure if I will put it back though.

Kryptonbulbs was kind enough to send me a replacement bulb at no added shipping cost. I have not installed the kit yet, like I mentioned earlier, i will go with the sylvania ultra for now (after using those for a week, I started to like them.)

Ive run DDMTuning HID retrofits for years. After installation, re-adjust your lamps to make sure they are where theyre supposed to be (Our 2011 Edge Sport was WAY off) and youll be good to go. No dazzling other drivers, no constant bulb replacement. My oldest pair of bulbs is going to be 9 years old this Sept. so as you can tell ive had none of the burnt out bulb problems others speak of. Hope this helps.

By the way, our 9005 kit in the Explorer is working out beautifully.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have put HID mark LEXUS, 8000k 9005, and the fog lamps H 11 8000K, with fog lights I have no problems, either with low beams, high beams but rise to the trees, and if I regulate all the set of lights, low beams light up very low, anyone have any solution?

Back