Hidden 10" sub and 5-channel amp install | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hidden 10" sub and 5-channel amp install

Reaction score
City, State
OKC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Eddie Bauer 2-Dr
Figured I would show people my completely hidden audio system. The 10" molded MTX Audio sub enclosure for the storage pocket area is no surprise. But instead of the amp being installed in the driver side rear access panel area or in the passenger compartment somewhere, I installed it on the passenger side next to the sub, right where the stock Ford Premium Sound amp was mounted behind the paneling. I wanted an amp to power all my speakers, so I installed an Alpine PDX-5. Not only is it a rather powerful 5-channel amp, it fits perfectly in the original location. I was even able to modify the stock amp mounting bracket for the PDX-5. I ran the AV component cables from the head unit down inside the passenger rocker trim to the amp. The 4 gauge power wire was run through the passenger firewall and up through the A-pillar and along the roof (above the windows) until the C-pillar (I think thats what it is), where I ran it straight down to the amp. (This way I have plenty of separation between the AV component and the power). All the speaker wires run from the amp to the speakers via stock routing. Overall, it is a really clean install that wont take up any space (I'm sure you won't miss the storage pocket, especially when you crank your stereo!) It is VERY loud and clear, has strong bass, and there is absolutely no feedback or noise in the system. Here is it hooked up with and without the interior panel. This is a 2-door Explorer, so I'm not sure if you have the same space to work with for a 4-door.
http://www.imageurlhost.com/images/a0mem861r948klwpg97_Explorer-stereo.jpg
http://www.imageurlhost.com/images/im9dmwmioe04xfwwzqp_Explorer-Stereo-2.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

nice clean install . good choice on amp , those work good for what you have !

Nice.... I've been wanting to do something similar to my Ex, but haven't had the ambition yet (and it's cold outside and I'm a wuss). Besides, my 10" sub likes the ported box that I built to fit over the passenger's side wheel well and under the cargo area roll out cover. But I'm always afraid something is going to gouge the cone or rip the surround. And it kind of gets in the way sometimes. The amp, too, when I fold down the seats. So I'm on the lookout for an 8" sub to trade, but the only one somebody wanted to trade me was pure junk. Anyways, nice install! Those pioneers hit pretty hard. Me likeee...

I'm kinda curious. I just got my Explorer, and it has the entry level audio system in it. The car I had previous had a complete aftermarket system in it, including 2 10" subs in a box in the trunk. Did you have to build that box for the back of your explorer or did it have the sub in it to begin with? If you had to do the work, how hard was it to refinish the panel so that it looked original?

Similar room in the 4-door, I have the same type of install.

IMG_2470.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

I've been wanting to buy the MTX enclosure cus it's cheaper than the JL one. I was wondering if the MTX case is molded specifically for the sub it comes with, or if I could possibly change it out for another 10.

I picked up a couple 10's about a year and a half ago to put into another rig, which isn't with me any more, and I'd like to know if I'll be able to install those in the box. No sub mounting depth info was put on the MTX website.

The MTX enclosure will fill any 10" sub designed for small enclosures. That's why I used the pioneer sub. It isn't very deep in there for subs with the magnets sticking way back. Anything less than 5" deep should fit.

I'm kinda curious. I just got my Explorer, and it has the entry level audio system in it. The car I had previous had a complete aftermarket system in it, including 2 10" subs in a box in the trunk. Did you have to build that box for the back of your explorer or did it have the sub in it to begin with? If you had to do the work, how hard was it to refinish the panel so that it looked original?
The box is made specifically for the Explorer by MTX. It comes with the grill and everthing, there is no panel finishing required. My truck never had a sub previously installed.

I just bought a 2 door sport. I really like this set up cause I don't want to take up too much space. My only question is sound quality. Every other vehicle I have had had 2 10's in it.How does one 10 sound?

Depends on the 10". A cheap 10" is okay if you just want some bump, but there are plenty of really good 10" subs that will be all you ever need for bass unless you are just looking for SPL and want to annoy people around you by vibrating their vehicles with bass.

There are even single 8" subs that work great. It's really a matter of getting the right sub in the right enclosure and having the right amount of power getting to it. When it all works together, you can get more than enough bass from a single sub, without pushing it hard at all.

My system sounds extremely good. People aren't going to feel you coming down the street of course, but like the previous poster said, if you get a quality 10" and pair it with a good amp, it will kick pretty good. I feel every bass note through my seat and it gets the mirrors shaking good. It also helps a lot when you do a 5-channel amp setup like I did, because the speakers can provide a good amount of base as well and still maintain good clarity. Basically it makes your car sound like it has more than just a 10". People always assume I have at least 2 10's or a 12". They're always suprised when I tell them it's just a single 10". So as far as sound quality goes, a single ten can be made to work very well.

Very Nice, this has been on my 2-DO list for way too long, thanks to Joey D, I already have the sub enclosure. Will look into that amp.

is there a link for it

I do still have one more stock 8" enclosure if anyone needs one of dem dare dings.

how much would u charge?

does anyone know if you could get a 10" to fit into the 8" stock box?

Back