• Register Today It's free!

Hidden battery?

2-D

Reaction score
City, State
Amarillo, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 PIU
Working on 2021 Explorer Hybrid PIU, and found an extra battery. It is located on the LH side behind the lower interior panel, behind the LH wheel well. The part # appears to be AGM-AUX1-A. The only reference I found that even shows this battery is the "Explorer-Aviator ERG 04-22-2019 Emergency Response guide" pages 2-5, and 2-6. What I would like to know is what the purpose of this battery is. Their is already a battery under the hood, so why did they decided to put this small battery in the rear of the vehicle. Thanks in advance for any knowledge on this.
AUX battery.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I believe this question has been asked before some time ago but I am unable to find anything on it.

Peter

Upvote 0

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I believe this question has been asked before some time ago but I am unable to find anything on it.

Peter
Thanks for looking. Hopefully somebody will be able to shed some light on it in the future.

Upvote 0

It’s probably just for more reserve capacity, or for running higher load items in the rear without having to extend larger gauge wiring to the back.

Upvote 0

Upvote 0

That battery is for the starter when the vehicle goes from hybrid to gas.

Upvote 0

That battery is for the starter when the vehicle goes from hybrid to gas.
I haven't been able to find a definitive answer as to what it is for and this post seems to in some ways seems to offer a different opinion.
The document linked in the last post in that thread refers to it as an Auxilary Battery.

Peter

Upvote 0

Took these off my screen at work. Hope it helps. This is for a 2020+ hybrid.

7FDAD1F9-DAFA-4DA2-812F-1C9257F26DFB.jpeg A5A02C8C-3CE9-46A9-B519-FF0690AD17EC.jpeg

Upvote 0

Working on 2021 Explorer Hybrid PIU, and found an extra battery. It is located on the LH side behind the lower interior panel, behind the LH wheel well. The part # appears to be AGM-AUX1-A. The only reference I found that even shows this battery is the "Explorer-Aviator ERG 04-22-2019 Emergency Response guide" pages 2-5, and 2-6. What I would like to know is what the purpose of this battery is. Their is already a battery under the hood, so why did they decided to put this small battery in the rear of the vehicle. Thanks in advance for any knowledge on this.View attachment 425168
I'm wondering if it could be for a GPS tracking device! Keep hunting around to see what it is connected to!
Actually, I think that would be an excellent idea that I think I will incorporate into the 2017 PIU mod.

Upvote 0

Dennis, the function is explained in the previous post.

Peter

Upvote 0

Dennis, the function is explained in the previous post.

Peter
Sorry must have missed that BUT I still like my idea and I think I will incorporate it in the Interceptor!

Upvote 0

Sorry must have missed that BUT I still like my idea and I think I will incorporate it in the Interceptor!
During our Hybrid training, Ford recommended not putting anything on that rear Aux battery as it could kill that small amp hour battery, or throw codes. But you can do what you want lol.

Upvote 0

During our Hybrid training, Ford recommended not putting anything on that rear Aux battery as it could kill that small amp hour battery, or throw codes. But you can do what you want lol.
I have a 2017 NO Hybrid but I just thought the idea of a hidden battery was awesome!

Upvote 0

Back