Hidden rust | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hidden rust

I just noticed bumps on the lower four inches of the vertical bar that seperates the stationary glass from the power window on the rear doors. I believe this bar is steel with a ruber coating. The bumps appear to be caused by rusting of the steel inner member. Has anyone else noticed this problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yep, I got the same problem. It's been like that for a year now. As far as I know the only way to fix it right is to replace it. Unfortunately from what I've seen, that is connected to the window track and the stationary part of the window and it is all one piece.

Same problem here and its just getting worse, would be nice if some one (Perry?)knew a easier fix than replacement.

I just might have to check out the few wrecked Explorers in the junkyard to see if they have these parts left on them.
The dealer wante way too much for the replacement parts.

What side do you need?

Thank you for the reply. Your's is the second one I've received.

My experience leads me to believe Ford has a material and/or coating specification problem with this part. My intent with the posting was to see how wide spread the problem is. If I'm correct it would be hard to find this part in a junk yard that wasn't rusted.

I don't believe it's right for Ford to profit from their mistakes at the expence of others. When I worked in manufacturing, when we had a part that would fail outside the warrentee period but before the expected norm, we would redesign the part and offer it to the customers at cost. I don't know what Ford charges for this part, if you have to buy the whole assembly or just the verticle window channel.

To answer your question, both sides are rusted.

Replacements

I checked it out awhile ago. Same problem here.... Ford dealer wanted like $150 and change for the parts. That included the glass for the small part of the window.

The main part I need is the inner crossmember piece from what they call it F1TZ 7810110-1 A which is now obsolete from ford. I hope someone has one out there can cut a section out for me sooooooon....

Back