Hidden Winch Project | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hidden Winch Project

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Updates?

Danny -

Any updates on the project. . .?

Paul
'91 Sport

Well, everything is mounted BUT, this winch is probably 8 years old, I replaced the motor over 2 years ago and I don't think I've ever used it since. I kinda screwed up and took this whole thing apart before testing it. So I've got this sexy winch with everything mounted (including a new flatblack paintjob in the inside of my grill & some mesh that I got off the donor grill at the junkyard) only to realize that the winch is only working in one direction and seizing up in the other direction. Totally possible that this is a result of me not labeling everything when I took it apart or else a result of this sitting outside unused for 2 years.

"Sexy Wench" ? ?

Danny -

Make sure its not just a bad solenoid. My older Ramsey had a bad "In" solenoid, and made it seem like the motor was seizing as it would not take in the cable.

Probably worth checking before buying a new winch. . .

Paul
'91 Sport

Danny -

Make sure its not just a bad solenoid. My older Ramsey had a bad "In" solenoid, and made it seem like the motor was seizing as it would not take in the cable.

Probably worth checking before buying a new winch. . .

Paul
'91 Sport

Yeah, I purchased 2 new solenoids per recommendation of the supplier who sold me the new motor, too bad, they don't match what's in the box. I may try to use them anyway if I can match them up. The warn controller box uses 4 solenoids that are exactly like the starter solenoid on the fender wall.

Hey Paul, why don't you head on down to Truckhaven this weekend so we can compare winches.

Okay, so this is how my setup has 4 solenoids...

schematic2.jpg

and the 2 solenoids I have look like this

winch_solenoid.jpg
\

wondering if I can convert them over. Here's proof they really are winch solenoids. http://images.google.com/imgres?img...prev=/images?q=winch+solenoid&um=1&hl=en&sa=N

Hey Paul, why don't you head on down to Truckhaven this weekend so we can compare winches...

Truckhaven in October? Still trying to figure out if I could swing it in January '09... Rejoined the work force after a few years, so making it down now is out of the question. Also closing in a few days on the house, so that will definitely impact on quality four-wheeling for the forseeable future.

That solenoid looks exactly like the one required for my Ramsey Rep 8000 that I bought back in February. I was able just to swap out the solenoid directly, no issues for me...

Best of luck,

Paul
'91 Sport

sounds good, I thought I'd throw it out there since you have been known to pack up the truck and disappear for weeks at a time.

The status on the winch is a bad motor, I used this test online to determine it was bad by eliminating the solenoids all together. Too bad I paid $150 for a motor that never got used but you live and learn. http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Q&A1/Q&A1_signed.pdf

Pics with the line on?

sweet! supply away!

Danny find your same winch and buy it, then you have spare parts

OR

rebuild your unit again?, correctly......

rebuild your unit again?, correctly......

Trying not to nickel and dime me on this project, but it's more like twenty and fiftyin me.

yeah, I have managed to have a few things going on, I mashed the Explorer pretty good on the two weekends out (rear brakes are shot again, broke a brake hose, front fenders are toast, blew a tire, front diff leaking like crazy) SO I've got it up on jackstands and all 4 wheels off to solve my brake issues, replace the fan clutch, replace fuel pump, and fix all my broken stuff.

In addition, I had issues with my flatbed, both dirtbikes came back from Glamis not running, Superduty had a alternator fail (replaced under warranty) and I've been on the dirtbikes 3 times in the past 2 weeks instead of wrenching. It will come with time.

All spare change, aluminum cans, commission checks and parts sales are going to fund a new project
images

I'll take what I can get. I'm like that though.

DAyum! sweet! I have been driving my trucks and not working on them, good thing they were running good right before I got married! Now happily married, fixing up the house (I am now a carpet installer, wood floor installer, drywall guy, landscaper, and mason!)

Almost time to get back to trucks, I have been doing little stuff like customize the FJ Cruiser....but nothing big.....YET

Keep focused on that ring, its worth it!

All spare change, aluminum cans, commission checks and parts sales are going to fund a new project
images

You're gonna hustle jewelry on the street?:p:

Single guys are becoming a dying breed in our group, at least you found one that likes the desert:thumbsup:

Everyone is getting so old. I remember when Danny and Jamie were just pups. Now look at them.
happy%20crying.gif

images

Danny...you taken the Vowes?..... Sweet;) Let me know if you need anything, or any advice:thumbsup:

nope, I've just been shoving cash into a safe at my house for a ring for some time now. I told myself I'm not going to finance a ring because I for one hate making installment payments and often get buyer's remorse, a ring probably isn't a good thing to have buyers remorse over. The only thing I owe money on is my house and I'm going to keep it that way.

What really sucks is when you go and rob $1500 for some bypass shocks out of that safe, it kinda slowed down the process.

images
For me? Oh why I do oblige.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bypasses or wife, bypasses or wife............hmmm what a dilema!

Cant she just wear a bypass?

Back