Hide-A-Way Strobes - New Install | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hide-A-Way Strobes - New Install

Ok, I have a couple of questions about installing these things. I had a set in my last vehicle, but the wiring job was crappy (done by me) and the drill job into the headlights was crappy... I also only put them in the front.

I was looking at my 2002 Explorer XLS without Subwoofer in the back, and I was trying to figure out how I was going to wire everything before they arrive. BTW I got the LightningX from www.fireoutfitters.com, they look pretty cool and I like the idea of the switches that comes with it.

Now my main questions:
1.) How do I run the wires through to the tail lights. I am unsure of the mount location for the power supply, but I am trying to figure out how to get the wires to go outside the vehicle through the hole where the factory tail light wires go through the body at?

2.) Where should I mount the power supply and run the wiring inside the car? (I already have my main power wire for my sub running on the driver side, and the signal cables on the passenger side) Also, can I just splice into the power lead from the sub or should I run a seperate wire?

3.) Best way to drill the holes in the headlights and tail lights?

4.) I have 6 strobes 60W system. Should I put one set in the reverse lights, the other in the low beam area, and the others in the side markers?

Thanks for the help and if I come up with some more questions I will definately ask.

-Kyle

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would think that strobes are illegal, on the road, everywhere. Unless you are an emergency or safety type veh.
You gotta admit that they would definitely be distracting to other drivers no matter what color they are. Turning them on on the road is like putting up a sign to the cops that says "I want a ticket".

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Some people say you need a DOT permit for amber some say you don't. On the Explorer I had the reverse lights set to strobe as well as soon reverse was engaged. I used mine many times when I came upon a accident and I was the first person there as a non-fire/police/ems responder just to get people to slow down. Most cops might question you for having them but in my case I had a business card showing who I was and they understood I was just assisting them until they arrived to take over the scene. If your gonna use strobes, use them responsibly, don't turn them on the public roadways unless you have a reason to or are a qualified member of a fire/police/ems department.

As a mailman I use them every day, but that's during the day and they are white. At night strobe lights are extremely distracting. I have them in my 95 Crown Vic that I used to deliver with. I turned them on one evening outside of a bar where a friend hangs out. It got his attention, and cleared out the bar. That was a regular "casual drug" location. People confuse white and amber strobe lights with red and blue. My explorer is much better for delivering mail, and people used to pull over when I drove the white Crown Vics on the route.

Sorry S_Stack I must have got carried away by all the buttons on the keyboard...

Just wanted to make the point that if you use strobes on the road you COULD be in for trouble. There are times when, at the discretion of the cop, they will let it go. But it isnt a given that its OK

I had a reason to use them tonight. A car coming at me down a hill slid straight off of the road into a tree. The road is very slick when wet, and we got a little rain today. I parked near the curve where both directions could see me, and turned on my flashers and four strobes. It is much better at night than simple emergency flashers.

I was glad that the guy slid across my path instead of saving it and hitting me head on.

Back