HID's and Shark Fin on Leased Sport, input requested. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HID's and Shark Fin on Leased Sport, input requested.

Odrapnew

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
So, I'm still awaiting the arrival of my 14 Sport. I plan on leasing the Ex, but haven't completely decided yet.

After all the reading, I'd really like to do the HID upgrade(probably Coolbulbs). Has anyone had any issues with Leasing, warranty work and the HID upgrade? Should I just not risk it? I suppose if I need to bring it in, I can take the HID's out, but I heard the driver's side is a PITA to do. I would plan on returning it back to stock at the end of the lease(if I choose to turn it in).

Same question for the shark fin, but that might be a necessity depending on how it fits in the garage.

Any input is appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So, I'm still awaiting the arrival of my 14 Sport. I plan on leasing the Ex, but haven't completely decided yet.

After all the reading, I'd really like to do the HID upgrade(probably Coolbulbs). Has anyone had any issues with Leasing, warranty work and the HID upgrade? Should I just not risk it? I suppose if I need to bring it in, I can take the HID's out, but I heard the driver's side is a PITA to do. I would plan on returning it back to stock at the end of the lease(if I choose to turn it in).

Same question for the shark fin, but that might be a necessity depending on how it fits in the garage.

Any input is appreciated.
I don't recall anyone with a lease carrying out these modifications. They may have but just didn't specify they had a lease. You may also want to read the 'Lease Agreement' to see what if anything it says about modifying the vehicle. Since the vehicle will likely be returned to your dealership, perhaps you should see what they have to say seeing that both 'mods' are reversable.

Peter

I don't recall anyone with a lease carrying out these modifications. They may have but just didn't specify they had a lease. You may also want to read the 'Lease Agreement' to see what if anything it says about modifying the vehicle. Since the vehicle will likely be returned to your dealership, perhaps you should see what they have to say seeing that both 'mods' are reversable.

Peter

I'm sure, like most leases, it says no modifications.....which is usually the same as a warranty on a purchased one. But the modifications must be shown to have caused an issue(if there ever is one) to void a warranty.

But, like you say, they are reversible and shouldn't affect anything in the vehicle and it can be put back to stock without any evidence that they were there. I don't know if I'll do them anyway, just curious at this point.:salute:

I'm sure, like most leases, it says no modifications.....which is usually the same as a warranty on a purchased one. But the modifications must be shown to have caused an issue(if there ever is one) to void a warranty.

But, like you say, they are reversible and shouldn't affect anything in the vehicle and it can be put back to stock without any evidence that they were there. I don't know if I'll do them anyway, just curious at this point.:salute:
My garage entrance is 81" high and I've adjusted the door pull back to about 82". I'm guessing that the OEM antenna clears the entrance height by 3 to 4". Hope that helps.
I had planned to buy mine out after the 48 month lease but am now looking at likely another lease. Even though it will only have about 24,000 miles on it the buyout, taxes, admin fees, inspection fees will be almost the equivalant of 21 to 36 months on a new lease, depending on how much I put down.

Peter

My garage entrance is 81" high and I've adjusted the door pull back to about 82". I'm guessing that the OEM antenna clears the entrance height by 3 to 4". Hope that helps.
I had planned to buy mine out after the 48 month lease but am now looking at likely another lease. Even though it will only have about 24,000 miles on it the buyout, taxes, admin fees, inspection fees will be almost the equivalant of 21 to 36 months on a new lease, depending on how much I put down.

Peter

Thanks for that info. I would think Ford would make the overall height to fit through a standard height garage door, which I believe is 7'. I won't worry about it until I actually get the car.

Put the antenna and HIDs in it and don't worry about it. Odds are the dealer would never even notice if you did leave those things on, especially when its 3 years old when you return it, those guys usually barely know what is equipped on the current model year, let alone 3 years ago.

Just research a vehicle then go to the dealer and ask them questions, they'll usually start spewing off the wrong information just to get a sale lol.

Both mods are easily reversable, neither mod is intrusive or requires cutting anything, put 'em on and enjoy it.

Back