HIDs messing with my radio | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HIDs messing with my radio

So I have recently installed HIDs both in my headlights and aftermarkets fogs that are on the X. I installed the headlights HIDs with no problem and no issues with my radio. But after installing the fog HIDs thats when it started. I have an Alpine Deck with HD radio. When I turn on my fog lights, I get all static radio. Then when I turn off the lights, the static goes away and get perfect radio. The HIDs are plug and play. Anyone knows whats going on with the static?:scratch:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

did you run the wires near the radio? if a wire with current flowing they threw produces EMI (electromagnetic interference) some people call this "electrical noise." this is why sometimes when you drive under power line you radio goes to static. if the wire isn't near the radio it is probly near on of the wires coming of the radio either to a speaker or the antenna, good way to test this is turn on a cd if the static goes away its not on the antenna. there is several way you can fix this first would be run the wire somewhere else away from the radio, the other way would be twist the wires and shield them. i do not where to get wire shielding or how much it would cost, but it is what automotive manufactures use in vehicals if they have an emi problem.

The HID wires are up along the bumper and not near any of the wiring to the radio or antennea. When I play a CD there is no static. The static comes only on the radio when my fog HIDs are on.

i had the same exact problem with hids in my fog lenses i count figure it out for the life of me so i just removed the fog lights but i would like to know how to solve this. i heard that using digital ballast would eliminate this but i havent tried it

Ramren already touched on this - what ballasts do you have? Digital or analog? I have the analog and I get static in my radio. I was thinking of switching them for digis.

I had a similar problem with the MKX. Got a filter/?? from these guys that cured it.
http://www.retrosolutionsllc.com/servlet/StoreFront
It was their digital kit that was causing the problem.
All veh.s are different so I'm not sure this would do it.
I would first try using a harnes and relay to turn on the ballasts. It may isolate the circut enough to knock out the interference .

Back