• Register Today It's free!

High Altitude Emmissions

nkrax

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 xlt 4x4
The invoice on my 98 XLT 4x4 SOHC v6 says that i have the option "high altitude package" or something to that effect. Does anyone know what is different about an explorer that has this option?

thanks,
nate

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The computer may have a slightly different program to deal with less air pressure and oxygen content, and also lower octane gas. Sometimes when I go on a road trip I reset the computer if it runs rough after a very quick change in elevation (if I have time) of a few thousand feet.

This is just a guess.

YES THAT IS RIGHT, IT is a different spark/fuel curve for high altitude.

The altitude changes can reak havok on your computer.
I stillget a CEL (02 lean) sometimes in the rockies, basically anytime I either scream up a long hill climb or let the compression braking hold me back on a long decent (Eisenhouer Tunnel, or Floyd Hill) the CEL wil come on and then go off in a few minutes......the EEC just cant keep up with the 2000ft altitude changes...

To make up for it Ford made a high altitude package, or a computer just like Alec said with a slightly different program........

for the sake of information, do you know how to tell (from a calibration code or something) if you have the high altitude package? What is considered high altitude?

no idea, I am guessing it would be in the computer code, on the EEC itself....

Back