high altitude gas | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership! If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

high altitude gas

2TimingTom

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Littleton, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
So I was reading through the owner's manual and saw something about how Ford recommends using 87 octane regardless of altitude- even though octane requirements decrease as altitude increases.

Here in the Denver area, regular gas is 85 octane instead of 87. I've always pumped regular regardless of where I lived- CO or KS (regular is 87 in KS).

My dad used to have a 1994 Mazda B4000 and I'm pretty sure he pumped 85 octane and he would say he would get pinging.

What do you high altitude drivers pump?

Holiday Special! Join the Elite Explorers $20 for 2 years! Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Attacking Mid

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Ltd. 5.0L AWD
We use 85 octane, and I've not noticed any pinging or other ill effects.

AM.

Maniak

Moderator-Stock 91-94
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Vail, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT 4x4
I'm pretty sure the newer X's have knock sensors and will pull the timing back if they detect ping which nets you less power.

That said, at the high altitudes you can get away with less octane But with FI and o2 sensors the altitude doesn't affect pinging as much since the ECM changes how much fuel it puts into the engine based on how much air it can get in and how the exhaust "smells" to the ECM.

~Mark