High Flow Cat's | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

High Flow Cat's

Hello everyone its me again. I was wondering where i could find a High Flow Cat for my truck which at the moment has 4. Well the truck is a LEV ( Low Emissions Vehicle ) so whenever i got my Flowmaster i blew a sensor in it and like 3 months later another one went. I was still under warrenty and they fixed it both times. I Hate when they do that because that freaking Check Engine Light comes on. Well who makes a single high flow cat for my truck i don't know where to start. On Steeda there is a Bassani one for a SOHC 4.0L Ranger would that work. Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Since you have 4, I'd recommend getting 2 parallel CarSound units. CarSound is Magnaflow and they're cats are very good.

Just call around to your local exhaust shops and see who carries them and have them custom installed.

Oh, also Johhny you need to have Brian at Apten work his magic on your dhip. He can turn off those sensors so you don't have to worry about them.

Naw thats alright i got the guys at Panhandle Performance to tune it and turn stuff off. It was a Problem that waseasily fixed i just don't want to turn off any sensor's that might come in handy later on. Back on topis is there a single cat setup i can order form like a company that replaces all the piping.

Have you looked under the truck to see how your exhaust is routed?

You have 2 parallel tracts: header through 2 cats, then both into the muffler. You need at least 2 cats unless you want a new single-in muffler. And you'd need to have a collector Y-pipe made to join both headers.

Much better IMO to get 2 good cats and leave them parallel.

when i was at a muffler shop asking how much they would charge to put new cats on our 93 ex (184k miles) they said i would have to buy them from the factory since the input pipe is oval. he also said i dont need to change them just because they have almost 200K miles on them. i think it would be a good idea to change them when we get the money.

what do you guys think.

Any decent shop can cut the factory oval collector flange off the old cat and weld it to the new one. You'll just need a new gasket from Ford.

Changing a 10 year old cat isn't a bad idea, especially on our rigs.

From what I've seen the cleanliness of 2 factory cats = that of 1 aftermarket.

Originally posted by Black Magic
Any info on thisDead Link Removed
ok, from what i understand, the front two "cats" are pre-heaters. the rears are the "real" converters. so, if you cut off the rears, you will not pass emissions and have a check engine light.

Oh, and you won't flow substantally more with one factory cat there and the other hollow; besides the fact that the factory cats flow very well and are more than adequate unless they're clogged or you have forced induction.

Originally posted by Alec
besides the fact that the factory cats flow very well and are more than adequate unless they're clogged or you have forced induction.

Thats my understanding of cats: unless your cats are clogged/very old or you have a highly tuned motor, messing with the cats isnt worth the effort/money. The money could be better spent elsewhere.

Back