• Register Today It's free!

high fuel pressure

rustyboltz

Reaction score
City, State
Paola, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 X Sport 2001 Mount
I have a 93 X sport 4.0 I drove it last night. This morning I decided to check the fuel pressure and I have nothing (that is first thing this morning without turning nothing on). I then turned the key on and the fuel pressure came up to 14 (I did not start the vehicle). I then started the vehicle and the fuel pressure went up to 68 lbs. (this is with the motor running). I do not have a manual on the vehicle yet but is this pressure too high?
I have purchased a FPR from RockAuto and it will arrive later this week and I plan to replace it. But I was wondering about the fuel pressure if it is too high.
Any comments and suggestions would be appreciated.
PS. I just turned the vehicle off and the fuel pressure is slowly decreasing. it took approx 5 min for the pressure to go back down to 0.

spec pressure for the 1st gen fuel system is 35-45 psi. In addition to checking if the FPR is stuck closed, check the fuel return line for clogs/kinks/restrictions.

I let it set for an hour and then turned the key on and the fuel pressure went up to 16 lbs. I then started the vehicle and the pressure went up to 78 lbs and stayed there for the 5 min that I let the vehicle idle.
I think that I will replace the FPR when it arrives and check the fuel return line for restrictions like MrShorty recommends.

What method is used to check for a blocked return fuel line? Can I use air to blow in the return line and listen for it in the tank?

Back