• Register Today It's free!

High fuel pressure

myles1984

Reaction score
City, State
delavan wi.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 ford explorer
I have a 1996 Ford Explorer V8 fuel pressure is way too high 55 PSI at idle already change fuel regulator still at 55 and Haynes manual recommends 30-45 psi any suggestions

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 1996 Ford Explorer V8 fuel pressure is way too high 55 PSI at idle already change fuel regulator still at 55 and Haynes manual recommends 30-45 psi any suggestions
@myles1984
Possible restriction in fuel tank return line from engine. Possible restriction at fuel pump relief valve. imp

@myles1984
Possible restriction in fuel tank return line from engine. Possible restriction at fuel pump relief valve. imp

Another thought came to mind: If the fuel pressure regulator has a vacuum hose, a crack or broken off hose at the manifold end might have been missed while replacing the regulator. This (lower vacuum at the regulator) would cause it to let less fuel return to the tank, thus increasing fuel rail pressure.

I found the problem tonight it's a fuel return hose restriction thanks for help [rQUOTE="imp, post: 3583685, member: 126284"]Another thought came to mind: If the fuel pressure regulator has a vacuum hose, a crack or broken off hose at the manifold end might have been missed while replacing the regulator. This (lower vacuum at the regulator) would cause it to let less fuel return to the tank, thus increasing fuel rail pressure.[/QUOTE]
Another thought came to mind: If the fuel pressure regulator has a vacuum hose, a crack or broken off hose at the manifold end might have been missed while replacing the regulator. This (lower vacuum at the regulator) would cause it to let less fuel return to the tank, thus increasing fuel rail pressure.

Thanks for your help I figured out the problem it was the hose there was a restriction. I disconnected the fuel return line on the tank and at the fuel rail and bypassed it.Ran a new line and it return to 31PSI I disconnected the fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose and the PSI went up to 40 thank you so much for your help it was appreciated

Thanks for your help I figured out the problem it was the hose there was a restriction. I disconnected the fuel return line on the tank and at the fuel rail and bypassed it.Ran a new line and it return to 31PSI I disconnected the fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose and the PSI went up to 40 thank you so much for your help it was appreciated
@myles1984
Glad you got her straightened out! imp

Back