High Idle and Shifting is Off

jwarwick

Reaction score
City, State
The Thumb, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT 4.6
2003 Ex with the 4.6L and 143k miles.

At a warm or cold start up, the RPMs jump to 2k then very slowly drop to around 900-1k.

While driving, the RPMs stay higher than normal when the trans is shifting. It seems like the RPMs are 300-500 RPMs higher than normal. There have been times where I've been driving 65+ mph and the trans will finally shift into 5th.

My gas mileage has been abysmal as well.

I have replaced the IAC with a Motorcraft one and this fixed an idle surging issue from a previous post: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412653

I recently tired a replacement TPS and the high idle at start up and shifting still continued.

I have cleaned the throttle body, MAF and EGR valve. There are no vacuum leaks and the rubber hoses are all good.

I have reset the PCM (no luck) numerous times via the video in this link: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=396533

Any thoughts??

thanks in advanced

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you checked the fan clutch?

Have you checked the fan clutch?
I am not familiar with the fan clutch but from what i've read, its a part that doesn't get fixed, just replaced.

Is there even a way to check if the part is bad??

I haven't found a good tutorial on replacing it, do you have any links?

With the engine off spin the fan blade. It shouldn't even make a rotation on its own. Easier to tell in person.

They can cause the symptoms you are experiencing though.

To remove it you need to borrow a fan clutch removal tool set from a parts store. Like a giant two prong fork, it fits around the bolts that mount the fan to the clutch. Then a smaller tool is used to loosen the clutch to water pump nut.

Once loose it just comes off by hand. Just don't let it fall into the radiator.
You'll need to borrow the tool for loosening the serpentine belt as well before removing the fan.

Then again, I suppose it could be the torque converter as well.

When I put the Ex in reverse or drive on a cold or warm start, there is a bit of 'clunking'. It just isn't very smooth but I haven't had any issues (that i know of). The clunking has been on going for a couple years. I asked a mechanic if it was the U joint and he told me this is just a 'sloppy' transmission.

Could this be another issue caused by the torque converter??

....i will check the fan blade in the morning.

thanks for reply! :thumbsup:

With the engine off spin the fan blade. It shouldn't even make a rotation on its own. Easier to tell in person...

Fan blade did not rotate. :thumbsup:

So that leaves the torque converter. Do you know of any ways of testing that?

thanks for the help so far

Back