High idle, clunking when coming to a stop | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

High idle, clunking when coming to a stop

99ex22

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Wilsonville, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 5.0L 4x4 Eddie Bauer
so the past few days it's been over 100 degrees and when I use my Air conditioning it idles at about 1500 RPM when in park. When I put it in drive it's a little over 1000 RPM. Also when it's idleing high like that it clunks coming out of second gear into first when slowing down to a stop. Is this anything to worry about or is it just idleing high because it's working harder in the high heat?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds as though it's going into limp home mode from overheating. Bad t-stat is usually the cause.

Help me please 911

trANSMISSION RUNS FINE BUT EVERY TWO DAY IT spits ALL and i do mean all its fluid out of every orific on the tranny. it soaks my engine and the rear of my truck and the entire underside of the transmission there is not just one spot where it comes out. i am no0t running it hard i am just driving it. what can that be please help

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239300&highlight=replace+thermostat+sohc

Thermostat —4.0L SOHC
Removal and Installation

Partially drain the cooling system to below the thermostat housing
Remove the splash shield bolts and the accelerator control splash shield.

Remove the air cleaner outlet tube.
Remove the upper radiator hose.
Remove the water outlet bolts, water outlet adapter and thermostat.
Install a new O-ring seal.

To install, reverse the removal procedure.

loud clicking noise from front end under 15mph. Goes away after 15mph, still drives smooth and handles ok, have visually inspected and found nothing.

Back